Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer restarts by itself

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 bob12c

bob12c

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 21 February 2006 - 10:45 AM

Name is Randolph Bevard

I have this computer problem, it keeps on restarting on me randomly. I was jus wondering if you could help me fix the problem. It has been going on for two days now. Its not the psu, its not the memory, so all i can think of is the mother board or the hd. It seems on other forums taht it might be a corrupted HD, but im not too sure.

Specs are:

Intel Celeron 2.4 GHz
256 MB RAM
400 W PSU (changed from a 250 W PSU that was included)
80 GB HD
64 MB Integrated Graphics

Moved to appropriate forum - Leurgy

Edited by Leurgy, 21 February 2006 - 01:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 21 February 2006 - 10:53 AM

Hello and :thumbsup: to Bleeping Computer!

Before we can answer your question we need more information:

What are the other problems? What did you do in order to discover that the problem was not the RAM? How old is the PC?

“Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.”
-Unknown

"I'm a cannibal... I eat Crackers"

Hacker != Cracker

website is down until further notice. . . . 

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2006 - 02:01 PM

Frequently this can be caused by overheating. Remove the cover and have a look at the fan over the CPU. If this fan and heat sink are clogged with dust your computer will reboot itself in order to protect the CPU. Have a look at our Tutorial Cleaning the Interior of your PC by acklan and Rimmer for some tips.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 bob12c

bob12c
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2006 - 04:45 AM

The computer is only about two years old. I took out the old RAM, and put in a perfectly new 256 MB RAM that has never been opened before for about two weeks, still in the bag i bought it in. Restarted the computer (after checking all the connections in case they got disconnected) and tried going on the web and it restarted...

Ran three virus test using these programs... (Guardian Anti-Virus Killer, AVG Free, and Norton Antivirus), all three came up clean...

ran two spyware test using these programs.... (Spybot S & D, and Ewido security) and they didn't find anything other than cookies...

It only restarts when i try to install something like Diskeeper 9 Home Edition or Yahoo Messenger, and it restarts when im trying to run a virus scan... but not when i use the internet

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2006 - 09:27 AM

Have you tried the scans in Safe Mode?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 n0thing

n0thing

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2006 - 10:01 AM

i have the same problem as him.
but my computer never makes it out of the BIOS screen.
i dont have an OS yet, as i havent been able to keep the computer on for more than 10 minutes. ive run FDISK and almost managed to finished my format though.
Ive used a Linux Live CD and got to the desktop. then it restarted.

#7 bob12c

bob12c
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2006 - 10:49 AM

yeah, tahts how i got the first scans to work. Im thinking about getting a new harddrive but i would have to get a new Win XP Home CD.

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2006 - 11:45 AM

bob12c have a look at Event Viewer for an error log. That may shed some light on your situation.

See How to view and manage event logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP. Post back with any info you find and we'll see if we can help.

n0thing it would be best to start a separate thread in our Hardware Forum concerning your problem so we can concentrate on one problem at a time. Just click on New Topic on that page and explain your problem. It gets confusing replying to two separate problems in the same thread. As you are a new member I can understand that you might not be aware of that. :thumbsup:

Edited by Leurgy, 23 February 2006 - 11:52 AM.

#9 bob12c

bob12c
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2006 - 12:36 PM

Ok, i'll look through the Event Viewer, but would it be in System, Application, or Security?

#10 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2006 - 12:53 PM

Actually it could be in any one of the three. Wait until you have the problem and look for an error that occured at that time. If it happens two or three times you can really narrow it down to a specific event.

#11 bob12c

bob12c
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2006 - 01:28 PM

well whenever i check the error messages i see in the Event Viewer, it mostly talks about thsi mrtRate failure.... Do you know what the mrtRate is?

#12 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2006 - 04:22 PM

Apparently this is used with the program Quicken 2000.

See if this can help you any: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=res&cd=3...mBMWVecT_9cZNGQ

-Unknown

Hacker != Cracker

#13 bob12c

bob12c
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2006 - 03:25 AM

But i never used Quicken at all, so i dont know why it would be failing....

#14 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2006 - 08:51 AM

Meh... Im not to sure what to tell you there buddy. :thumbsup:

If it is installed on your computer what-so-ever I would suggest trying that fix.

If not: I would wait to see if anyone else has any ideas.

-Unknown

Hacker != Cracker

#15 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2006 - 09:24 AM

Do you have Quicken on that computer? If so, go to Start>Run and type in msconfig. Look under the startup tab for anything related to Quicken and if its there uncheck any and all entries. Since you don't use it you wont miss it. If you do use it then it will just take a little longer to open.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users