Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer Aspire 7551 laptop No networking hardware

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jade Knight

Jade Knight

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:54 AM

Hello everyone I am having an insane amount of trouble with my Acer Aspire laptop that was working correctly until all the sudden the wireless went out stating that there is 'no networking hardware'

I'm not sure what could cause this but two new things happened the night it went out.

1. I bought a wireless signal for my desktop (I read somewhere in the Windows help files that the signal could knock out others I think it's silly but who knows)

2. I bought a new mouse, tried to install it only to find that numerous people could not find the hardware for it. It went from lit up with no hardware found, nonfunctional. To not lit up but the computer still tried to install the software, no good. I feel like this problem is mainly associated with a cheap mouse because I wasn't the only one who could not install it.

Those are the only two new things to happen to this laptop in the 24 hour period it went from functioning to no wireless hardware what so ever. My router is 2 feet away. I have tried removing the battery and disconnecting it from the wall, have tried turning off the signal, then on again. I have also restored my computer twice, back to a time earlier in the day when it didn't do the most recent windows update.

And nothing. I don't want to say the internal hardware somehow fried but something went wrong somewhere.

What is some steps I can do to try to test or fix this problem? Because Windows 7 help doesn't even acknowledge that this could happen at all nor does it say there is anything wrong with any of the devices on the laptop.

Some information about the laptop:

Windows 7, Service Pack 1
Acer Aspire 7551
AMD Phenom II N970 Quad-Core processor 2.20Ghz
4G of useable RAM
64 bit OS
Wireless Adapter: Atheros AR5B97

Please note that I have also tired to hardwire this computer to my router and it would still not register that it has an internet connection nor would windows detect there was any problem with this at all.

thanks for the help in advance, please let me know if there is some additional information I need to provide.

EDIT:

I downloaded the drivers from the Atheros website and put them on a USB drive from my desktop. Upon putting in the drive to the laptop I found NONE of the USB drives are working. What now?

Edited by Jade Knight, 03 April 2012 - 12:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 everready

everready

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:07 PM

Hello Jade Knight,

First of all could you explain more fully what you mean by you "bought a wireless signal for your desktop" ?? Did you install a wireless adapter in the desktop or what?

Moving forward, you can open up Action Center on the laptop, click on Troubleshooting, then on Network and Internet, and then on Network Adapter. This will troubleshoot ethernet and wireless adapters. The Troubleshooter checks a large number of common problems and tries to fix them automatically. Good place to start.

If the Troubleshooter doesn't correct the problem then try opening a command prompt and typing in ipconfig /all. The output will list all network adapters and their physical address. This will tell you if the system evens knows of the adapters or not.

Move on to Device Manager under Devices and Printers in Control Panel. With Device Manager open Expand the Network adapters group and look for any icons on the adapters listed.
A black exclamation point (!) on a yellow field Indicates that the device is not functioning properly.
A red X Indicates the device as been disabled.
A blue i on a white filed Indicates the device was manually configured
If any of the above icons appear, try right clicking the problem device and enable if disabled or uninstall the device and then reinstall the device.

Copy the results of the ipconfig/all and paste into next post, also let us know what you discovered in Device Manager.

Good Luck

#3 Jade Knight

Jade Knight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:25 PM

I did everything you asked in the last post and here's what I got.

I ran the troubleshooting (for the entire PC and specific areas), it said there is nothing wrong and can't do anything for me.

The wireless signal is an adapter, just a Netgear wireless receiver.

I did the Ipconfig/all command in the prompt and got this:

Host Name: Seth-LAP
Primary DNS Suffix:
Node Type: Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled: No
WINS Proxy Enabled: No

The Primary DNS Suffix is intentionally left blank because I got nothing from it.

I also went into the Device Manager and checked the categories, automatically these were expanded: Network Adapters, Sound, Video, and Game Controllers, and Universal Serial Bus Controllers and every item in them had a yellow triangle with an explanation point.

It seems like a lot of things got disabled for some reason, but I have no idea what caused it :/.

Edit: I also forgot to mention my sound isn't working now, when I hover over the volume control it says there is no sound card detected.

Edited by Jade Knight, 03 April 2012 - 07:27 PM.

#4 Compu-tar

Compu-tar

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:12 PM

Those don't sound like they're disabled, just missing drivers.
A really nice utility I've found for finding driver information is ironically called, "Unknown Devices".

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=3908

I put the download link above...just extract the archive, and run the program. No install is needed. That should tell you the specific model of your network card. Once you have that, go to the manufacturers website and download the correct driver. Or post the model and I'll post a link for the driver.

Cheers.
"They say one of a baby's first non-verbal forms communication is pointing. Clicking must be somewhere just after that."

Ben

-Certified Computer Technician-

#5 Jade Knight

Jade Knight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:24 PM

Those don't sound like they're disabled, just missing drivers.
A really nice utility I've found for finding driver information is ironically called, "Unknown Devices".

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=3908

I put the download link above...just extract the archive, and run the program. No install is needed. That should tell you the specific model of your network card. Once you have that, go to the manufacturers website and download the correct driver. Or post the model and I'll post a link for the driver.

Cheers.

Is there any other way that I can send a file to the laptop? All the USB drives, even the SD slot is not recognizing at all. I'm not sure how I'm going to transfer a file there? Any ideas?

#6 Compu-tar

Compu-tar

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:03 AM

does it have a CD-ROM drive?

An you said none of your network adapters are working? Not even your ethernet?
USB, CD, SD card slot perhaps?
"They say one of a baby's first non-verbal forms communication is pointing. Clicking must be somewhere just after that."

Ben

#7 Compu-tar

Compu-tar

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:07 AM

You could also, if you have access to one, pull the HD out and put it in an external enclosure and transfer the file onto your desktop that way.

Ben

#8 Jade Knight

Jade Knight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:32 AM

It does have one, I haven't tested it yet, let me see about that.

#9 everready

everready

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:11 AM

Jade Knight,

Sounds like you got bit by a Trojan of some sort, and you need to move this post to the Virus removal forum. Just repacing the drivers is not going to get you anywhere. The offending malware needs to be removed first. Once your post is in the correct forum follow the instructions from the contributors their.

However, if it were me I would bring out the big guns.
Use the desktop PC and download and burn a Kaspersky Rescue Disk http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208282173.
Boot the laptop off the CD you create and let it scan the system. You should be able to select the boot menu option while the BIOS is starting. Usually the F12 key.
By using a boot disk you are essentially bypassing the operateing system on the hard drive, and the malware as well. The rescue disk will scan for rootkits and malware both.
After the scan, save the log file it generates to the Desktop.
Reboot and check the Device Manager again to see if there are any changes.

After that, I would recommend scanning the laptop with the anti-virus software you have installed.

Let us know what you experience.

#10 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:07 PM

Jade Knight ,

Software, hardware, malware, it's tough to say, but first impressions support Compu-tar's assessment of drivers missing. If you don't have a driver CD from Acer, the drivers can be downloaded from here: http://support.acer.com/product/default.aspx?modelId=2237, burned to a CD, and copied to the Acer's Desktop. On the Acer site, don't forget to enter your "Operating System" and 64-bit to narrow down the choices. Try copying the "Unknown Devices" program to CD. It may help you distinguish the Atheros from Broadcom wireless network card.

You have to wonder how you "lost" all those drivers. Hard drive corruption is a strong possibility. Of course malware is always a contender.

I'm not a big fan of antivirus rescue cds for systems that are able to boot into windows without difficulty. I've seen bootable systems become nonbootable after an infected system driver is deleted or quarantined outside of Windows.

I would try to re-install all missing drivers, run hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic software to test hard drive, if HDD diagnostics "pass," run chkdsk /R, followed by AV and malware scans.

Just my two cents.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users