Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Outlook 2010 Not Responding

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DianaD

DianaD

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:36 AM

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium on my hp laptop.
I have Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 for students.

The last two (2) days my Outlook has not been responding after I double click on an email message to open and read it. Once I've read the email, I click on the X to close the message, and once I'm back to the list of messages Outlook is not responding.

I then press <ctrl> <alt> <delete> to end the Outlook task. A box comes up and says it's not responding. Another box comes up saying Microsoft is trying to repair it, then it re-opens and the whole process begins again with it freezing after a little bit.

I went to Microsoft's website and repaired the entire Microsoft Office program.
I also followed their steps to repair the Outlook data file for my gmail account with no luck by either.
I have not installed any new programs. My antivirus (Avast) is up-to-date. I'm also running Malwarebytes, and Secunia PSI so I know that Microsoft Office is up-to-date as well.

Can someone please help me, because I was rather enjoying using Outlook!

Thank You,
~Diana DiPierro~
La Grange, IL USA

Edited by hamluis, 03 April 2012 - 03:39 PM.
Moved from Business Applications to Web Browsing/Email.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:36 PM

Hi Diana

I can try to help you. I've only got Outlook 2007 here. My wife uses 2010 but she's an accountant and I can't get near her PC until late at night since it is tax season :)

2007 and 2010 are VERY similar though, my only concern is telling you to click on something that is in a different place on your version than mine.

That said, here are some questions I need answered before we go any further. I'll number them to make them clear.

1. Can you send and receive email?

2. Is it checking just the one gmail account or do you access multiple mail accounts?

3. you said...

Another box comes up saying Microsoft is trying to repair it

Can you get the exact words that it uses in that message?

4. Do you know if you have any extra add-ins installed in Outlook like a PDF converter or Google search tools?

5. When you ran the Office Diagnostics/repair did it say anything weird or did it just go through the process and seem okay?

James

#3 DianaD

DianaD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:56 PM

Hi James,

This issue started a couple days ago, out of the blue, and I've had to shut it down maybe 5 times today alone. :(

1. I can send/receive email.

2. It's checking the gmail account and a Windows Live account I have through the university I attend.

3. After I control, alt, delete, and end the Outlook task, a box comes up saying "Microsoft Outlook is not responding, Windows is checking for a solution, then Microsoft Outlook is restarting". It restarts and then the whole issue starts over again.

4. The add-ins that are installed in Outlook are ABBYY Finereader 9.0 Sprint Outlook toolbar. There's 2 different buttons for that, one which looks like a scanner picture, and one that looks like a file folder picture. Then I also have Avast Antispam add-ins, stating Spam, Not Spam, Blacklist, and Whitelist. These are the only add-ins showing under the tab.

5. Nothing weird came up during the Office diagnostics repair. It just went through the process and then a Secunia PSI box came up saying the Office Suite was patched.

Hope this helps you help me!

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:40 PM

This really sounds like an add-in issue. It is common for add-ins to work fine in Outlook for quite some time and then suddenly you get weird errors or problems that offer no clue as to what exactly is going wrong. Something as simple as a behind the scenes antivirus update or Windows update can suddenly make an add-in cause problems.

I don't know for sure if that is your problem but it's the best place to start based on your description and answers to my questions.

First see if the Business Contact Manager is installed. Read this thread for details. It describes how an Avast update broke Outlook 2007 using this for several people recently.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic447051.html Post #7 is where the solution starts.

If that does not apply to your situation then I would suggest first disabling the ABBYY Finereader add-in reboot and see if the problem persists. If it does, disable the Sprint add-in, reboot and see if it is fixed.

If you need help on how to disable the add-ins let me know (Outlook 2007 they are in TOOLS > TRUST CENTER and you click the GO button to manage them. Might be different in 2010).

Let us know if any of this helps.

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users