Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cracked Laptop

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Kat91119

Kat91119

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:55 AM

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here it goes...

My open laptop fell on the floor backwards. Slamming closed. I opened it and noticed that beside the hinge/bracket next to the power cord & power button is slightly cracked. When I go to close the lid, the whole corner of the keyboard over there lifts, which makes the power cord loose in the jack.

I can't afford to replace this laptop, its 15 months old and in great condition until now of course.

I know its hard to tell from just a post here, so I uploaded a video of my problem: http://youtu.be/cV-Y_sqzRbs

Can anyone think of anything to fix this? I'm sorta against bringing my laptop anywhere and dropping it off plus I don't have much $.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:02 AM

If you hold the corner together (where it seperates when you close) does the power chord connection tighten up?

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#3 Kat91119

Kat91119
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:22 AM

When its completely turned on, or in standby?

The power light is always lit if on so it doesn't do anything with that

#4 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:29 AM

From your video, it appears that the power chord is loose. Not true?

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#5 Kat91119

Kat91119
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:42 AM

It is just a tiny bit. Nothing major. I'm just worried about it getting more loose the more I open and close the computer. And the fact that the power button is right there too

#6 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:53 AM

Heres my thought, w/o seeing the laptop. If holding the corner in question eliminates the seperation and tighten the power chord, as you close it, I'd use a couple drops of superglue on the case. Clamp the corner while it dries.
Downside is the case ever needs to be opened it could be tough to do.

#7 Kat91119

Kat91119
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:05 PM

Took a look at it more closely.

Apparently there is a screw right there. And the casing the screw goes into broke, so the screw can't keep the case closed anymore. My husband is going to try to take a look at it and see if there is anything that can be done. Right now its duct taped together. But it still tries to life :(

#8 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:39 PM

Well, if you/he are comfortable with opening the case up it would be easier to make a assessment on whether it can be repaired. I would imagine there is a video out there if you google the make/mdl...sorry I couldn't help.

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:23 PM

Hi,
It sounds as if you need to order the top cover. The part that surrounds the keyboard.
However what worries me is the lifting of the cover disconnecting the DC in.
I would love to see inside as I suspect that the top cover is not the only damaged part, Possibly the base too where the hinges attach.

That should not be happening. Was it plugged in at the time of the disaster?

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#10 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:45 AM

every neighbourhood has a computer geek who works cheap or just for the glory ,find out who yours i,s and see if they can look at it and tighten it up for you ,i suspect thet the screw scockets are boke off and new/used case parts will be needed to fix it

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#11 Kat91119

Kat91119
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:40 AM

Hi,
It sounds as if you need to order the top cover. The part that surrounds the keyboard.
I would love to see inside as I suspect that the top cover is not the only damaged part, Possibly the base too where the hinges attach.

Good Luck
Roger

Apparently that is exactly what I need. But is that really what it is called?

I looked around online and all I can find is that I need an Acer Aspire 5551 "Top Cover Assembly" but I can only find like 2 of those online...on Ebay. For $35. Now, I'm no stranger to opening a computer and LOOKING around. But I haven't done much other then that, and well I'm a little nervous. Not sure if that is a good deal for that part, and if I should attempt this. But the laptop is cracking and starting to get much worse. I figure, I can barely afford the $35...what happens if the whole unit breaks? I can't afford another $500+...so I might as well go the $35 route

#12 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:11 AM

One quick tip to prevent further damage.

Leave the screen open, donot move the screen, turn off the laptop. If worried about dust, after it is off then put a towel over it.

That is what you need but I would also want to check the hinge on that side as it looks like it is moving too.

From looking at this disassembley guide it appears that the hinge screws to the base. That would mean you need the base. If you can look in there and check to see if the base is broken or the hinge is broken. I'm betting on the base.

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/disassemble-acer-aspire-5251-5551g-5551-series-laptop/

Most likely you could start by replacing the base if money is tight. Try epoxy to secure the little brass pieces back into the top cover being careful not to get any into the threads and not to build it up to where it interferes with the top cover.

From what I can see in your video the reason that the top cover is moving up and down like that is because the hinge is loose from its mounts.

Be careful unplugging the speaker cable and the DC in jack cable. Do not pull on the wires. careful examination will help.

Take pictures or a video of the disassembly process to aid in the assembly. Watch the screw lengths too.

First step, remove the battery and AC Adapter.

Make sure that you need the base and not the hinge before ordering.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 22 June 2012 - 11:12 AM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#13 Kat91119

Kat91119
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:40 PM

Hi,

Good Luck
Roger

Apparently that is exactly what I need. But is that really what it is called?

I looked around online and all I can find is that I need an Acer Aspire 5551 "Top Cover Assembly" but I can only find like 2 of those online...on Ebay. For $35. Now, I'm no stranger to opening a computer and LOOKING around. But I haven't done much other then that, and well I'm a little nervous. Not sure if that is a good deal for that part, and if I should attempt this. But the laptop is cracking and starting to get much worse. I figure, I can barely afford the $35...what happens if the whole unit breaks? I can't afford another $500+...so I might as well go the $35 route

Well, I only saw this message today. I ordered the Top Cover a few weeks back, and it arrived today. I tried to replace it. However, you are correct, the base is the issue really here. Inside the unit, where the hinges attach to the base, the screw threads have completely broken off. So, no way to secure the metal portion of the display hinge Everytime I move the display the metal portion hits the fan/top cover. Yes the top cover is also cracked, so technically BOTH need to be replaced. This is a much bigger task then I can do myself. I'll have to keep using it in the condition its in now and hope one day I get the money to get it fixed or buy a new one. The computer is a little over a year and a half old and was $550. Considering I could barely afford the $35 top cover....I don't think I'll be seeing a new laptop anytime soon.

Problem now is that I've noticed that the computer seems to be running hot, I noticed this before, but didn't think anything of it till I saw the inside of the machine. There is a screw thread at the top of the fan unit, and it seemed to almost be caving in. My fan has never been loud, and quite frankly I don't remember how hard it blew through the side, so I can't compare to before I dropped it to now. It does concern me now though because I don't want it to melt the motherboard if the computer gets too hot. Had that happen to an old PC before I knew anything about fans.

Any idea how hot a laptop should run? My laptop is an Acer Aspire 5551-4200 with AMD Turion II X2 Processor p520 (2.3GHz) if that helps. I just downloaded and installed CUPID HW Monitor and I've attached an image to show what it says. Not sure if these are good temps or what any of this means. This is in a home that is currently 78 degrees if that matters as well.

Attached Files

#14 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:34 AM

Hopefully the fan is running.

Try this, It is from HP but should apply and the second link is for just in case.

Reducing Heat and Fan Noise by Cleaning Air Vents
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01657439&tmp_track_link=ot_recdoc/c00292159/en_us/c01657439/loc:1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us

Help! I’ve spilled coffee on my laptop
http://h30458.www3.hp.com/us/us/smb/887321.html

If the fan is racing but the air coming out is good volume and is not hot or warm then that is a different problem.

One other thought, try not to open or close the screen.

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 11 July 2012 - 09:35 AM.

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users