Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printing from web comes out very tiny

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 RiPPeN

RiPPeN

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:30 AM

At my job we run machines primarily with xp and 1 machine has Vista on it. Starting a couple of days ago whenever we print anything from a browser it comes out on the paper extremely small.... It's as if there are HUGE margins set up so it takes up very little space on the page. I don't really know how to describe what's happening any other way. I have searched online and nothing has seemed to have worked.

This happens with all our computers across all of our printers. We have a Zebra ZP450 printer (for shipping labels), a regular HP Laserjet 1320 printer for our invoices and a Canon printer in the office. Regardless of which computer or which printer we print to the output is always really small on the screen. It worked for a year or so perfectly fine until a couple of days ago.

We didn't change anything on any of the computers but they do remain on overnight so I don't know if maybe the browsers updated and that's why they are doing this now.

A buddy of mine said he thought it might be a DPI issue or something like that because when I print something through Notepad it comes out perfectly fine. But i haven't found any DPI settings on any of the printers or on the computer and it doesn't explain to me how it could be a setting issue if it happened at the same time to all computers and all printers.

I have tried changing Shrink To Fit options. I have tried manually changing the margins on the "Print Preview" screens in IE when I try to print something and only if I do that every single time will it print properly. In chrome I can print the receipts through the HP printer but if I press CTRL+SHIFT - P to print from the system screen it does NOT work.

If you guys need any more information please let me know. This is a huge issue that I just can't seem to find a solution for on my own and would really appreciate any guidance.

Thanks,
-Dan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:03 AM

Hi Dan

Just so we're clear on what is happening.
It happens on XP and Vista.
It happens in IE and Chrome.
It happens on all 3 printers.
Please correct me if any of that is wrong or slightly different.

Lets decide on a single common setup to try to find a solution on so it's easier for us to troubleshoot this through the forum.

Which OS, browser and printer combination do you want us to work with ?
I would probably be most comfortable with the XP / IE / Canon combination as I have access to a similar setup here.

Is there anyway that you could show me an image of a typical document with the problem? Maybe a picture from a cell phone or a screenshot of even the Print Preview screen?

And finally, how is everything connected?
Are all of these computers and printers on the same network?
Are the printers plugged into the network or are they plugged into computers that share the printers on the network?

James

Edited by NeverSayDie, 04 April 2012 - 11:06 AM.

#3 RiPPeN

RiPPeN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:20 AM

James,

Thank you for your reply. You are correct with everything.

Whichever combination you want to work with is fine. I can do XP/IE/HP...

I have attached what the printout looks like (I printed this post)... I hope that's what you needed.

Sometimes if it prints out full page it will cut the ends off of whatever was suppose to print as well.

The computer I am on right now is connected directly to the Zebra and the HP. All other computers connect to it through Local Network.

http://daniel.interserver.net/IMAG0219.jpg

Edited by RiPPeN, 04 April 2012 - 11:22 AM.

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:24 AM

Okay, I'll look into it some more but my initial reaction is that it is set to print on a smaller page than Letter(8 1/2 X 11).

I'll try to replicate it here and see if I can come up with any other ideas.

James

Edited by NeverSayDie, 04 April 2012 - 11:35 AM.

#5 RiPPeN

RiPPeN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:37 AM

James,

Okay thank you again I sincerely appreciate this. I've attached 2 pictures of the preferences page of the printer.

http://daniel.interserver.net/untitled1.bmp
http://daniel.interserver.net/untitled2.bmp

#6 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:54 AM

I have tried changing Shrink To Fit options. I have tried manually changing the margins on the "Print Preview" screens in IE when I try to print something and only if I do that every single time will it print properly.

When you do PRINT PREVIEW in IE does it look like it does in the actual printout (shrunk into the upper left corner)?

If it does, what are the margin values (in inches) that you change to fix it (before and after the change)?

#7 RiPPeN

RiPPeN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:07 PM

When I do Print Preview it does NOT look tiny, instead it goes to the tip of the page (for the HP printer). For the Zebra printer, it makes the label really huge and takes up TOO much space on the page but in the preview section if I change the margins and drag them to make it the proper sizes then it prints out fine. If I close the browser and open it again though all my changes I made are back to the way they were.

#8 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:20 PM

Okay, that really seems like IE thinks the paper size is different than Letter. If this is the case, there are several reasons that it could happen. I have seen this when people print photos on a printer and then the print preview doesn't switch back to normal when they are done.

This might not be your issue but lets try to check it.

Open IE (I'm assuming your XP machine is using IE8)
Press the ALT key
click FILE
click PAGE SETUP
is the PAGE SIZE set to Letter ?

#9 RiPPeN

RiPPeN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:25 PM

No... it says Page Size: 4.00" x 6.50" - (10.16cm x 16.51cm)

#10 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:27 PM

Change it to letter and see if it works. If it does, shutdown and reboot the PC to see if it stays Letter or if it changes back to 4.00" x 6.50"

#11 RiPPeN

RiPPeN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:34 PM

I can't the only other option is "User Defined"?

#12 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:38 PM

LOL! okay at least we've found where the problem is.

Is the HP Printer the default printer on that computer?
Do you have a label printer connected that prints the smaller size that might be set as the default printer?

EDIT: I suspect the Zebra became the default on that machine.

Edited by NeverSayDie, 04 April 2012 - 12:42 PM.

#13 RiPPeN

RiPPeN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:45 PM

Yes I have a zebra LP2824 (Small price tag label printer) as the default printer. The size (that I posted in the previous post) is for the Zebra ZP450 (the bigger UPS label printer).

#14 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:49 PM

Does it need to be the default printer?

If it does, I'll see if there is a way to force IE to look at the HP as its default.

James

#15 RiPPeN

RiPPeN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:02 PM

To be honest I would prefer if it stayed default. I changed the default to the HP printer and when I do that then the Page size IS Letter. But I still get the same result when I print something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users