Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Finding Installed Programs

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:15 AM

I am setting up a new laptop, Lenovo G570, and am having a rough time figuring out how this system works. I downloaded and installed the Open Office Suite and after it completed installation, I can't find the program on my computer. It didn't create an icon and I don't see it listed anywhere, either from checking for programs from the START BUTTON > All Programs or even from the list in the install/uninstall. I don't know if it matters, but I did not accept any of the accompanying other free programs. Where can I find Open Office on my computer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:59 AM

I am setting up a new laptop, Lenovo G570, and am having a rough time figuring out how this system works. I downloaded and installed the Open Office Suite and after it completed installation, I can't find the program on my computer. It didn't create an icon and I don't see it listed anywhere, either from checking for programs from the START BUTTON > All Programs or even from the list in the install/uninstall. I don't know if it matters, but I did not accept any of the accompanying other free programs. Where can I find Open Office on my computer?

They have their own forum, so maybe it might be a better idea to post your question on that: http://www.oooforum.org/

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:05 AM

Try reinstalling it. In the future, you should select the location to which you want an app installed.

#4 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:09 PM

I agree with allan ,i recently install it and it came with no other programs ,except it did install a java updat/ 6 ,it put an icon on the desktop and it installed into this directory .
C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice.org 3\Basis\program\"

Edit , sorry I didn't install the suite version .that a bit different than what i installed ,the suite cost money ,did you pay for it
regular openoffice http://www.openoffice.org/

open office suite .
http://openofficesuiteonline.com/

Edited by caperjac, 03 April 2012 - 02:14 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#5 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:27 PM

I downloaded the free version. And I did create a folder for downloads. It did download and go through the whole process of installation, even said the installation was complete. And now I can't find it on my computer.

#6 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:04 AM

I downloaded the free version. And I did create a folder for downloads. It did download and go through the whole process of installation, even said the installation was complete. And now I can't find it on my computer.

still not sure if you downloaded it from openoffice.org ?
so as alread suggested ,did you go to the downloaded file and try reinstalling it ,watching the install to see where it put it ,it will show you the installed files location path ,such as the location of mine i put in my last post ,good luck

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:00 AM

Okay, let's try this. UNINSTALL the program. Reboot. Now reinstall it but this time YOU pick the folder to which you want it installed. Let's see what happens.

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:24 AM

Allan, LittleGreenDots can't find it to uninstall it.

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:48 AM

Is it not listed in Programs & Features? If not, then it wasn't installed.

#10 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:21 PM

post the link to the site you downloaded it from ,so I/we can have a look at what you downloaded

#11 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,995 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:15 PM

Java is required for complete OpenOffice.org functionality

Do you have Java Runtime Environment installed?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#12 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:19 PM

jave comes with and is installed at the same time as openoffice ,if its [java ]not found to be already installed on said computer

#13 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,995 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:49 PM

QUOTE the OP..... I don't know if it matters, but I did not accept any of the accompanying other free programs

I think not having Java would not of prevented the install, anyway...that's according to the Java website.

Edited by buddy215, 04 April 2012 - 06:50 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#14 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:54 AM

not sure about the OP, but when i installed it ,it didn't give me an option, it just installed java,i assumme seeing it wasn't installed on my computer ,and it need it to work.

still waiting to hear what site they downloaded it from

Edited by caperjac, 05 April 2012 - 04:56 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users