Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox Redirect (happili, scour, etc.)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rburgquist

rburgquist

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:05 PM

Hello,

For the last few days when doing a Yahoo search in Firefox, some of the links that I select will get redirected. At first it was primarily being redirected to Happili and now it also gets redirected to Scour. While I am writing this and testing it I am actually also getting redirected on almost every link to http://firefox.managedownloads.com/ (I assume this is unrelated, but I am not sure why this is happening either). I am using Firefox 11.0 on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. I have tested using Internet Explorer and am not having any redirect problems.

I regularly use McAfee and yesterday I tried running Malwarebytes, Hitman Pro, TDSS Killer and none of them have found anything. I have done several searches on this problem, but can't seem to find anything that can solve my problem.

Any assistance that can be provided would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:53 PM

Hello, I moved you to the Am I Infected forum as that one needs particular logs.
Lets try something and if needed we can go back.

The problem may be an add-on in Firefox called "performance cache" or another one.

Try disabling them one at a time and see which one was at fault.

How to disable extensions and plugins

Keeping your third-party plugins up to date
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 rburgquist

rburgquist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:31 PM

Thanks! In the Add On - Extensions Tab there is Performance Cache 1.0. I disabled it and so far haven't had any redirect problems. Is it best to just leave this disabled or remove it completely?

Thanks again for your help.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:54 PM

Just leave it disabled as who knows you may need it one day.
Set a new restore point so that you won't reinfect your system if you accidentally or intentionally use an old restore point.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
  • Go to Posted Image > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
  • Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.
  • Go to Posted Image > Run... and type: Cleanmgr
  • Click "Ok". Disk Cleanup will scan your files for several minutes, then open.
  • Click the "More Options" tab, then click the "Clean up" button under System Restore.
  • Click Ok. You will be prompted with "Are you sure you want to delete all but the most recent restore point?"
  • Click Yes, then click Ok.
  • Click Yes again when prompted with "Are you sure you want to perform these actions?"
  • Disk Cleanup will remove the files and close automatically.
Vista and Windows 7 users can refer to these links:
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users