Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start Menu Favorites opening "small" window?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cave71

Cave71

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:40 PM

Does anyone have any suggestions to the following problem:

I'm running Windows7 with IE9. If I go to "Start - Favorites" and select any of my favorites (including my homepage), IE opens the browser as a "small" window (not fit to screen). If I navigate to my "User - Favorites" folder and click from there, it's the same thing. However, if I click on my IE icon in my taskbar, my homepage opens "full" every time. I would like my favorites to also open to fit the screen.

I have tried, (the obvious) maximizing it then closing it normally, dragging the edges of the small window to fit the screen and then closing with "x" and also with "ctrl-file-exit" and "shift-file-exit" - the only suggestions I've been able to find so far, but nothing is working.

In my start menu - programs, I have right clicked on both the 32 and 64 bit IE Explorer icons and selected for them to open maximized, but it hasn't helped.

I recently had a run in with the "SmartHDD" virus, but this problem existed long before that issue. I have done a reset on the browser, after the smarthdd issue, I reinstalled the browser, but I'd assume there may be something other than the browser causing this problem(?)

Scans with AVG, Spybot, Malwarebytes, Superantispyware are not showing any problems with the pc.

Any suggestions aside from installing programs that will open windows maximized (any warnings against using programs such as IEmaximizer?)

Thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:51 PM

Close all but one (1) IE window. "Grab" the corners of the remaining window with your cursor and "stretch" it to the desired size but do NOT maximize it!
Now close the resized window.The resized window MUST be the last window closed in order for its size to be remembered.
Or you can install IE New Window Maximizer and forget about it!
http://www.jiisoft.com/iemaximizer/

The above is a quote from M/soft Help desk - The MVP people seem to think this program is OK to use -
Hope this helps -

Regards -

Edited by noknojon, 03 April 2012 - 02:53 PM.

#3 Cave71

Cave71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:14 PM

Thanks for your input noknojon. Since none of those "stretch" options has worked, I guess the simple route is to just use iemaximizer. Thanks again!

#4 Cave71

Cave71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:35 PM

I think I've actually solved this, without having to use IEMaximizer. I had a backup of all my favorites folder on another drive. I just removed the "problem" favorites folder and replaced it with the backup, and now my browser opens normally. Problem solved

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users