Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Anybody understand Latin?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:10 PM

I was searching around the web today looking for info on ActiveX Filtering in IE9 and I came across this Microsoft site with the title: "Introducing ActiveX Filtering in Internet Explorer 9" which sounds very boring I know. It starts off in English, but have a look beneath the movie and you'll see that it's been written in Latin (or at least that's what I think it is).

Maybe it's a leftover from April Fools, but if not, then the webbie must have gone bonkers or something.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:30 PM

Thats just a test site, and nothing more.

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:01 PM

It is indeed Latin. Not that I can translate this particular Latin. It is apparently generated by something called Lorem Ipsum text filler generator. You can read about that here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Lorem_ipsum There is some English on that page.

You can also see it in use here: http://www.blindtextgenerator.com/lorem-ipsum

Orange Blossom :cherry:

Edited by Orange Blossom, 02 April 2012 - 02:02 PM.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#4 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:39 PM

It is indeed Latin. Not that I can translate this particular Latin. It is apparently generated by something called Lorem Ipsum text filler generator. You can read about that here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Lorem_ipsum There is some English on that page.

You can also see it in use here: http://www.blindtextgenerator.com/lorem-ipsum

Orange Blossom :cherry:

Interesting. Thanks for the links!

So M$ is trying to blind us with science now? I can understand the concept of writing a few lines in a dead language, but two thirds of the page (test of otherwise) written that way? Then again, if all you want to do is to fill up a few blank spaces, then any old crap will do I suppose.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:08 PM

More from wikipedia about Lorem Ipsum:

In publishing and graphic design, lorem ipsum[1] is placeholder text (filler text) commonly used to demonstrate the graphics elements of a document or visual presentation, such as font, typography, and layout. The lorem ipsum text is typically a section of a Latin text by Cicero with words altered, added and removed that make it nonsensical in meaning and not proper Latin.[1]

Even though "lorem ipsum" may arouse curiosity because of its resemblance to classical Latin, it is not intended to have meaning. Where text is comprehensible in a document, people tend to focus on the textual content rather than upon overall presentation, so publishers use lorem ipsum when displaying a typeface or design elements and page layout in order to direct the focus to the publication style and not the meaning of the text. In spite of its basis in Latin, use of lorem ipsum is often referred to as greeking, from the phrase "it's all Greek to me," which indicates that this is not meant to be readable text.[2]

Quote From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorem_ipsum

Also more about it here: http://webdesign.about.com/od/layoutglossary/g/placeholder-text-definition-lorem-ipsum-definition.htm

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:31 AM

Hah! I was going to say, that's quite a feat from a company not known for supporting "legacy systems!" :hysterical:

#7 Sani-T-Capt1

Sani-T-Capt1

• Members
  • 559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:03 PM

E Pluribus Unum :whistle: :whistle:
Either We Learn to Live Together as People, Or Die Apart as Fools !

Ignorance ISN'T Bliss, It's Just "IGNORANCE"!!

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:35 PM

Illegitimi non carborundum :P

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#9 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:19 PM

post hoc, ergo propter hoc :scratchhead:

#10 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:42 AM

O, my son of the good war!

O, fili mi boni belli!

(Apologies to Mr. Corke, my high school Latin teacher. :blush: )

#11 Sani-T-Capt1

Sani-T-Capt1

• Members
  • 559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:53 PM

Non Causa Pro Causa :whistle: :whistle:

Edited by Sani-T-Capt1, 05 April 2012 - 12:53 PM.

#12 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:18 PM

Bonum Commune Communitatis

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#13 Sani-T-Capt1

Sani-T-Capt1

• Members
  • 559 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:15 PM

Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users