Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase Template: New Desktop On the Cheap

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 niki090909

niki090909

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:27 AM

Back in 2004 The Sims 2 was released. My husband brought it home for me on the day it was released, I popped it in my computer and wanted to cry when it wasn't able to play the game. So off to Best Buy I went. I asked the man in Blue to give me a computer that would play the game. Well Over $1000 later I left with some hunk of plastic that worked. And it worked well for EIGHT YEARS.

Last week my poor old computer died. I mean, it was well over due, I knew it's time was coming. Hard not to be a little sad though, it was with me for a long time. Surprisingly, I never upgraded it and it always was capable of doing whatever I needed. Though a little slow.

So, now I'm hooked up to my old monitor, keyboard and mouse with an ancient laptop. It's serving it's purpose, but I need to start shopping. Sadly, times have changed and I can't fork out that kind of cash on a computer. I really want another desktop. I just don't like laptops. Well, I do, but not for my only computer. I like to stretch out. :)

I was shocked to see how cheap desktops are. I mean wow! They were a fortune last time I was in the market. To be fair, like I said about, that was 8 years ago. :) That's like a 100 computer years.

My budget for the new computer is: I don't really have one. The cheaper the better, but I will hold off and save more if I need to spend more.

What are the primary uses for this computer: Web, Mail, Photoshop editing and computer games, online and off.

What software do you intend on using on the computer? I use FF, Photoshop 7.0 (I'm sure my ancient program will need to be upgraded too!) Microsoft Office. Nothing fancy.

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? Dinky online game, but some fairly heavy PC games.

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? I generally always close programs when I am done. Neat and Tidy

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer? Not really, pictures are backed up elsewhere and my music library is well under 1000 songs.

My main concern is if I can find a cheap computer with a decent graphics card. That always seems to be the thing that gets outdated for me first. I love computer games. It's important that games will play on it for a long time. Other than that, I don't need much memory or anything. It doesn't have to be lightening fast. The best internet connection I can get out here in the sticks (That I can afford) is 1m. I would also prefer one that has a lot of USB ports. Why don't computers seem to have enough of these? I swear everything i have is USB now.

So, I'm temped by these 300-400 dollar computers I'm seeing. They're way faster and have more memory than my old dog, I love the price, but do their video cards completely suck? Am I better off finding someone to build me one? Oh, I don't need a monitor/keyboard/mouse already have those. I'm ok with buying used or having someone build one, but I am also scared of being scammed because I just don't know WTH I'm talking about. :)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Niki

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:28 PM

What games kind of "heavy PC games" do you play? To me, heavy PC games is like Battlefield 3, Crysis, Dirt 3, etc. Finding a system with a mid range graphics card would cost around $900 - $1000. It would be better if you got someone to custom build it for you.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 niki090909

niki090909
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:28 AM

I don't play those types of games. I mean more like The Sims 3. Games like that, if something new was to come out, I'd want to be able to play it.

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:57 AM

iBUYPOWER Gamer Extreme 927k This should last for quite awhile and play all those Sims games easily.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users