Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't allow me to open anything

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 geezydigital

geezydigital

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:42 AM

Hi, my computer spins the hourglass forever and i cannot open anything on my desktop. I ran malwarebytes in safe mode and it didnt find anything. Also ive had AVG installed and havent had any problems til now. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:38 AM

1) What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

2) Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.
After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

#3 geezydigital

geezydigital
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:45 AM

thanks for that suggestion. i was adding plugins to my wordpress site last night and this all started after that.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:49 AM

Also - you said you ran a full scan with MB - did you also run a full scan in safe mode with AVG? If not, please do so.

#5 geezydigital

geezydigital
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:56 AM

running avg in safe mode right now. says boot file locked - not tested, documents and settings locked - not tested, pagefile locked - not tested. its still running through program files.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:25 AM

Yeah, that's an AVG thing. I'm not a big fan. Unless you're a died in the wool AVG bigot may I suggest one of the better free options? Microsoft Security Essentials would be my first choice followed by Avira or Avast. Actually, I'm not a proponent of any free AV, but those are probably the best.

#7 geezydigital

geezydigital
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:35 AM

ok thanks. yea im going with avast after this...

#8 geezydigital

geezydigital
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:25 PM

I restored my system to a previous date. I also got rid of avg and installed eset and superantispyware. The computer seems to be running fine now :dance: but how do you know whether or not a virus may still be laying dormant on my computer, considering i didnt format the hd and reinstall windows. If anyone knows, should i be concerned about this or accept that eset is telling the truth when it says no viruses found? :blink:

#9 geezydigital

geezydigital
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:45 PM

from what i hear, avg is trash, so i got rid of it and installed eset, but i was told avast is way better than avg also...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users