Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A computer for video editing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 XrayTechnician

XrayTechnician

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:20 AM

What kind of computer hardware and features are important for video editing?

The reason I ask is because my computer that I use now is already being pushed to its' limit with just web browsing and media viewing and I'm considering either upgrading my machine or perhaps buying an entire new computer altogether. Does anyone know the kind of computers that video editors use? Any links to computers that I can buy from an online vendor is more than welcome so I can get a good idea of what sort of price range I'm looking at.

Thank you!

Edited by hamluis, 03 April 2012 - 04:50 PM.
Moved from Graphics/Photos to Audio/Video Apps.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:47 AM

Just do a search for the video editor of your choice, and include the words "system requirements" :)

Like these;

These, I think, are minimum requirements.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro/techspec

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-premiere-elements/tech-specs.html

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/moviestudiope/techspec

Edited by 12x48y, 02 April 2012 - 06:50 AM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:49 PM

Just about any system can edit video, provided there is sufficient RAM. Some of us have been editing video files with systems that long preceded multicore systems.

In general, there are 4 considerations, IMO:

a. Software which will be used

b. RAM/memory

c. CPU model/capabilities

d. Hard drive space to store video files.

Software chosen is strictly user preference...I have 3 programs that I use routinely and I'm easy to please.

Rendering is RAM-intensive...so you want more RAM than the advertised/stated minimum which the software recommends...but you don't need more than is useful. I find that 4GB is sufficient for what I do and my systems and RAM is super cheap these days, IMO.

Up to a point...a faster CPU results in faster processing of video. But that doesn't necessarily mean that you need an 8-core CPU for optimum results. I just use a 2-core CPU and it seems to do the job. I've been trying to convince myself that I need a faster CPU...and it just ain't so:). On the subject of CPUs...I suggest getting an Intel CPU, rather than an AMD CPU for your system...the general consensus is that Intels do better at video than AMD processors. For me, that's not terrifically important...for you, it may be important.

If I were going to buy a system for video today, I suppose that I would get an I5 system, since that would do the job and seemingly outperform all other CPUs other than the I7s.

Louis

Louis

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:10 PM

Hi,

I work with video as a hobby. I've been doing it since Pentium 4 days.

You didn't mention if you were going to be working with HD video.
So I'll go as if HD was what you want to work with.

My personal opinion is to get at least a I5 Intel preferably a I7.

You need a certain amount of speed for working with HD video.
I am running a 1st gen I7 and am giving serious consideration to changing to a I7 3930X based system.

The main difference between the I5 & the I7 is how fast the system can render the video as well as how fast it can author a disc. At least two drives so you are reading from one and writing to another. Even built-in video is good enough for editing unless the software package you decide to use wants a better card.

MY Pioneer BluRay burner works better than the LG does FWIW.

BTW as Louis says 4Gb is enough.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users