Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow computer (but I don't know why...)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 XrayTechnician

XrayTechnician

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:52 AM

I remember when I was able to run multiple programs quite easily back when I was running windows XP with 512mb of RAM.... Now, my graphics card alone is 1 GB and my total RAM is 6 GB. I have an enormous hard disk drive with about 800 GB of unused space, and I'm running 64-bit Windows 7. I tend to basically just surf the web, view media (music/movies/photos) and I've recently gotten into some very amateur digital editing. For digital editing I use Microsoft Paint (a very low-memory utility) and I recently bought a cheap video editing software. I use iTunes for my music, I watch movies with Windows Media Player, and I use Google Chrome for surfing the web. The only windows gadget I have open all the time is the CPU meter.

My computer is 1 year old

Comp specs:

AMD Phenom II X4 processor @ 2.90 GHz
64-bit Windows 7
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 1GB video card
6GB total RAM
1TB HDD

As I'm typing this right now my computer is using 3.8 GB of RAM and the only application I have open is my google chrome web browser. And no, I'm not running a bunch of programs in the background.

So my question is: what can I do to have my programs run smoother? Should I reinstall windows? Should I get an entire different operating system? Because I am completely baffled that I can barely surf the web, listen to music and run 1 other program without having something crash. Are computers really getting better or are they getting worse? Like I said, 10 years ago I had 512mb of RAM and I think 160GB of HDD and I think it ran with much less problems than I have now. Can anyone help me out?

EDIT: Other than a nice graphics card and a lot of RAM, are there any other important features I should look for if I were to upgrade, or perhaps buy all new computer that is geared towards video editing? I'm becoming more involved with editing and I fear I won't be able to do much at all if I can barely use my computer for simple programming.

Edited by hamluis, 02 April 2012 - 05:03 PM.
Moved from System Building to Win 7.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:15 PM

Hi, just for comparison I'm on a I3 with 4Gb of memory. In task manager I show 39 Processes, CPU 0% and Physical memory 29%. That is with just Firefox open.

We need to see what is happening on your computer.

IN Task manager under Processes select "Show Processes from all users"
What does your show.

Now that we are there lets sort by several different methods to try and see the problem.

1. Sort by the CPU tab, System Idle Processes should be around 99%
2. Sort by the Memory Tab. In mine Firefox is highest at 105,928k

Either one of those can reveal the performance culprit. Clicks on those tabs alternate between highest at the top and highest at the bottom.

You don't need a huge hard drive or fancy video card for basic windows. This computer is running basic built-in video and a 120GB SSD drive for the OS. The SSD does have one virtue that helps performance. It is very fast and thus things load fast and any Virtual memory usage is really fast too.

Once you report back we can move onto a cure, hopefully.

Also I hope you are running a good Antivirus? Have you run a scan recently. One way to tell you are infected is that antivirus won't run. Just a FYI for the future.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users