Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2.5" sata laptop drive into a desktop to save data

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 imazephed

imazephed

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:33 AM

My brothers gateway t6815 stopped booting into vista he did not have the recovery disc nor did I. I am trying to hook it to my sata equipped desktop but cant get past the start up screen. I just want to save his files before I install a new os on his machine. When I hot swap it my machine stops working and all the icons on my screen disappear leaving just the wallpaper no keyboard inputs work and I must hard reboot. If I let it boot with the drive in place it hangs on the start up screen. It seems as if its trying to boot from the laptop drive or something but my bios shows the main drive as sata 0 and my dvd burner as sata 1 then the laptop drive as sata 2. The boot order is main drive first then laptop. I am guessing that I need to change something in the bios but dont know enough to know what is wrong. Is this possible in the first place? All the plugs are the same on the notebook drive so I am guessing it should work. Thanks in advance -Jason

Posted Image

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:29 AM

Hi,

I have a suspicion that the Laptop drive is defective. I have seen that cause exactly what you are describing.

Try this to test the drive. Unhook your hard drive to make things easy. If you leave your hard drive hooked up then you will have to change drives in the software to test the Laptop drive. If your drive is unhooked nothing can happen to it and things will be easier. IMO

How to create a Data Lifeguard Diagnostics bootable CD
http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1329
Link and directions on the page. This version creates a bootable CD and does not require any hard drive to be bootable.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 imazephed

imazephed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:05 PM

Roger

I tried to run the WD diagnostics but I get an error message "Unable to locate the License Agreement file, DLGLICE.TXT!!!

I googled it and it seems that it will not run on sata drives. Any other ideas?

Thanks
Jason

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:08 PM

The WD tool is notoriously fickle. Try Seagate's SeaTools ...

It is best to use the hard drive manufacturer's own diagnostic utility, but Seagate's tool will work OK on most brands. The diagnostic tool is run from a bootable CD (Windows does not need to be working. The first two steps are done on a working computer, while the third step is to boot the ailing computer with the CD that you create in the first two steps.)

:step1: Please download SeaTools for DOS (CD) from Seagate's SeaTools for DOS web page

or use the following direct download link to download the latest version of SeaTools for DOS:
Download SeaTools for DOS ISO Image

The downloaded file name is SeaToolsDOS223ALL.ISO
[/list]
:step2: Burn the downloaded .ISO image to a CD using the appropriate burning software.
  • If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
    • Download and install ImgBurn.
      Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
    • Place a new (blank) CD disc in the drive tray.
    • Choose Write image file to disc.
    • Under Source, click on the Browse button: Navigate to and select the .ISO file that you wish to burn.
    • Place a check-mark in the box beside Verify.
  • Click Posted Image

When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.

:step3: Boot from the CD.
  • (You may need to access the BIOS Setup Menu or the Boot Menu and change the boot order to enable booting from CD before hard drive.)
  • From Basic tests on the Main Menu, run the Short test and then the Long test.

(The long test will take some considerable time to complete.)
    The results will be shown as either a PASS or FAIL.
    There is a chance that during the Long test, you may be offered the opportunity to attempt repairs on the hard drive:
  • If so, go ahead and attempt to do so, but ONLY after backing up all important personal files.
[/list]Note: You may wish to view the following ...
Please let us know the results of the tests.

Edited by AustrAlien, 02 April 2012 - 08:08 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#5 imazephed

imazephed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:51 PM

Thanks for all the help I downloaded ultimate boot disc then ran wd tools from there and the drive tested bad. He was real sad when I told him I could not recover his mp3's he lost 100 gigs of music that he did not have backed up. Maybe this will teach him to keep a external drive with his most important files. Thanks again -Jason

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:54 PM

It may still be possible to recover the files from the hard drive. Although Windows balks at having to read the hard drive, it is possible that you could boot from a LIVE Linux CD and access the hard drive that way ... and copy the files to an external hard drive.

Edit: Try Puppy Linux (Slacko Puppy)

Edited by AustrAlien, 02 April 2012 - 11:56 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:05 AM

Thanks for all the help I downloaded ultimate boot disc then ran wd tools from there and the drive tested bad. He was real sad when I told him I could not recover his mp3's he lost 100 gigs of music that he did not have backed up. Maybe this will teach him to keep a external drive with his most important files. Thanks again -Jason

Hi, Not to mention that external hard drives can go bad too.

The best way is to burn discs and store internally or externally on a hard drive.

100Gigs would be 5 BluRay blanks or a spindle of 25 DVD blanks.

In the future suggest backing up. It isn't if a hard drive will die, It is when.

In the mean time try AustrAlien's suggestion for recovering the data.
It can be done. The longest time I spent on one drive was 7 or 8 days to get the data back. Other times it takes a couple of hours.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users