Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Leftover issues from Smart HDD virus resolution

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 123gopher

123gopher

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:03 PM

Thanks to the great writeup on this site I was able to get the Smart HDD virus off of my machine. There are however a few leftover issues that I cannot sort out.

Mainly it's the windows 7 x64 pro taskbar. But first, fyi, the unhide routine did not restore those, or the start menu icons that come with windows 7 which include things like Control Panel, printers, help - those are in a separate vertical bar to the right of All Programs and the Start list. I was able to recover most of that by resetting to defaults.

The taskbar behavior is not like it was before and I have not been able to find any info on getting it back to 'normal'.

Before, all of my pinned items where steadily huddled on the left hand side of the taskbar. If I opened a program via one of those taskbar pinned icons, and then hovered the mouse of the icon, I'd see a preview/thumbnail of the open app, or several thumbnails if I had several word documents open. Any app that opened which was not related to the pinned apps would open with a much larger buttuon in the baskbar with both icon and text on the right/center side of the taskbar (icon and text like the name of the word document).

Now as I open pinned apps, the small pinned icon converts into one of the much larger buttons with icon and document name. It makes finding things in the taskbar chaotic. Right now my taskbar is a big button with icon and text for IE, a tiny firefox icon, a bit button with icon and text, three more small pinned icons, etc. It is no longer predictable where the pinned icons will be placed.

What setting do I use to settle it down? The taskbar was not locked before, I could add to it and adjust easily.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:51 AM

Press Windows+R key and copy this line

%appdata%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer

Click ok

Right click on quick launch folder and select restore previous versions

Select a previous date to restore the items

Note:

C:\users\username\appdata\roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
C:\users\username\appdata\roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

This is the location of your quick launch icons

good luck

Edited by narenxp, 02 April 2012 - 10:51 AM.

#3 123gopher

123gopher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:45 AM

Thank you narenxp.

The Quick Launch dialog shows no previous versions available.

Am I right in thinking that if it did work, it would restore the icons and not neccessarily the behavior I am used to? Recovering the icons for pinned apps is no big deal, I've already done most of that. What I am still having issues with is that the taskbar and it's pinned apps is behaving so differently. I would guess that if I could just adjust a couple of windows properties it's be as it was?

Specifically, before all the pinned apps were grouped together on the left side. I could move them if I wanted to, but they were always on the left side. When I started an app, the icon remained small but became highlighted.

Now when I start an app the little pinned icon becomes a full sized button and any pinned app icon to it's right gets shoved over.

How can I adjust these settings? The way it is now is not like I've seen any windows 7 machine, but it has to be fixable.

#4 123gopher

123gopher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:49 PM

OK, figured it out. For anyone else's future reference the taskbar setting I was after is arrived at by right clicking an open area of the taskbar, then selecting properties, then setting the taskbar options to Always Combine, hide labels.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users