Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Defender Warning

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 oRCaz

oRCaz

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 21 February 2006 - 02:48 AM

I don't quite like Windows Defender now. It forces people to scan their computers every three days, if not, they will put a tray icon. I think scanning every three days is too frequent for me, because I don't really visit many dangerous sites and download dangerous things. Does anyone know how to disable the tray icon, or delay it?
:: Orcaz signing off ::

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 21 February 2006 - 03:05 PM

The default is the same as MSAS beta - scan daily at 2 am. You can change that or turn it off. Go to Control Panel and click on the icon for Software Explorers to open. Then go to Tools > General Settings to change frequency or turn off (uncheck) Automatically scan my computer.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 oRCaz

oRCaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2006 - 12:29 AM

I have disabled the Automatic Scanning long ago, so I can do scanning manually instead. However, if I don't scan the computer for more than three days, Windows Defender will pester me by displaying a tray icon. However, I don't feel the need to scan so often.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 11 March 2006 - 06:06 AM

Daily unattended scanning is part of Defender's overall protection package. MS designed it as such for the novice user who puts little effort into regular maintenace. Thus, the scan kicks in without input from the user at a time when they are not using their system to help ensure it stays clean. The orignially MSAS beta was designed similiarly.

What you want is a stand alone scanning feature that only scans on your demand so perhaps Defender is not for you.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 11 March 2006 - 09:04 AM

You can set it to scan daily at a time when you are on & it will do everything in the background. I would make sure the setting are set so it doesn't auto remove things. Although it is still in the Beta testing stage it has shown to be promising but I would not allow scanning programs to auto remove anything even if they are not Beta.

P.S.
Mine is set to scan daily & have not found it to interfer with my activities during the scan.
I am not a gamer so I do not know what would happen if someone was playing a game at the time the scan kicked in.

#6 oRCaz

oRCaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2006 - 07:47 AM

Daily unattended scanning is part of Defender's overall protection package. MS designed it as such for the novice user who puts little effort into regular maintenace. Thus, the scan kicks in without input from the user at a time when they are not using their system to help ensure it stays clean. The orignially MSAS beta was designed similiarly.

What you want is a stand alone scanning feature that only scans on your demand so perhaps Defender is not for you.

In MSAS, you could disable auto scanning and it would not pester you with tray icons. All it would do that once you open MSAS, it juz shows a warning label at "Last Scan". However, in Windows Def, it creates a tray icon.

Actually, I need an antispyware that has real time protection, but allows me to manual scan without pestering me on when I should do so. I already have a stand alone scanner, a^2. Hence, I use Win Def more as a protection instead of scanner.

Edited by oRCaz, 15 March 2006 - 07:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users