Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Security Centre cannot be started/Occasional Google redirects

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JPYW

JPYW

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:08 PM

I started a topic in the virus/malware section but the problem could not be solved there and was suggested to remake the thread here.

Basically Windows starts up with the WSC disabled, flagged in the Action Centre taskbar icon, when clicked to start it up a popup shows that the "service can't be started". Within Services.msc changing it start up automatically and starting the process turns it on for less than 1 min before disabling itself and when trying to start it again gives an "Error: 1058".

Also have a Google redirect problem which is intermittent - sometimes happens, sometimes not. The programs in the malware/virus forum thread below (or listed below) is what I have tried and failed to pick up any threats and therefore failed to remove any possible virus/malware causing the redirects.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic447742.html shows what I have tried to fix the problems but to summarise the programs used... FixTDSS, aswMBR, GooredFix, ComboFix, TDSSKiller as well as some general settings within Win 7 - registry edit, services.msc, Locals and User Groups Manager.

As you can see lots of different things have been tried and unhelpful so any extra help would be greatly appreciated in resolving the matter. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:31 PM

When you attempt to start a service manually, you may receive the following error message:
Error 1058: The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

For Windows 7 and Windows Vista, follow these steps:

1.Click the Start button, then type Services in the Search box.
2.Click Services in the results pane.
3.Scroll through the list until you find the service that is stopped or disabled.
4.Click the Log On As tab.
5.If the service is listed as disabled for your profile, right click the service, then click Properties.
6.Click the Startup type dropdown list and choose Automatic, the click Apply, then OK.

#3 JPYW

JPYW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:59 PM

Tried that already. Restarts with it disabled.

#4 Akthalian

Akthalian

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:53 AM

If you're having issues with Windows Firewall and after running all of those tools you mentioned (which can at times be hazardous in nature, which is why it is generally advised to use them only under the supervision of someone trained in their use) it is possible that the service its self may need to be reinstalled.

To avoid having to do a bunch of complex manual steps, I would at least try Windows Repair by Tweaking.com

http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html

This program is entirely legit, and spyware/malware free and I highly recommend it for taking care of these types of issues, since it runs automatically and prompts to run system restore prior to making modifications.

The page I linked to should provide documentation as well. Once you get to the repairs section, choose custom (bottom option) and then select repair Windows Firewall.
A+ Certified Support Technician

#5 JPYW

JPYW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:13 AM

There's no problem with the firewall; is always on unless I turn it off for when I play online games with friends.

I guess if it doesn't hurt, I'll try it out anyways.

#6 Akthalian

Akthalian

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:24 PM

Im sorry i misstyped. I believe the program will still assist you with securty center
A+ Certified Support Technician

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,553 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:00 PM

Well...I would run the sfc /scannow command based on the premise that...system files may be damaged...if that hasn't been done yet.

Louis

#8 JPYW

JPYW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:36 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. Neither fixed it.

Ran Windows Repair checking Windows Firewall and a couple others I thought may be relevant(Registry Permissions, Hosts File and System Files) Rebooted and no change.

sfc /scannow "did not find and integrity violations"

Any other suggestions? Would doing a clean reinstall of everything fix it? As big a pain as that may be. I guess we don't really know the cause so it could come back again one day?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users