Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

crime rose are fell since early civilization

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 vox345

vox345

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:41 PM

I Googled and couldnít find anything, and itís kind of a tough one for which keywords to use. I was going to ask a crime forum, but there arenít many, and the main one wonít allow a Gmail or Yahoo email to register to prevent spam.? Iím going to ask a few other forums like a universal info one etc.
I was wondering if crime in general has gotten more or less since early civilization.
Iím talking as far back almost as like cave men and also for around ancient Egypt, then roman empire, then like major eras after that vs the present.
Also, what could be the reasons for a decline or incline, like how criminals are dealt with more lightly now than long ago. Like how in the past, criminals would be starved or burned to death, hanged, fed to lions in the roman coliseum. It was probably easier to get away with crime back then VS technology etc we have now, so severe punishment back then made it less appealing to commit crimes, whereas now, the penalty is mostly money and some jail, but jails are somewhat clean, sometimes can have sex on visitors day, costs more to jail a person for a year than a lot of people make working a year, watch TV, painless lethal injection, arts and crafts, earn a degree or job experience, etc etc.
Iím want real answers or at least where you think I might find the answers, not what you Guess. Per capita obviously since population has risen so much. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sani-T-Capt1

Sani-T-Capt1

• Members
  • 559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:17 PM

I'm Not sure the question you ask can be answered following the parameters you have set. First one would have to define crime. Are you talking about crimes committed by individuals, State and Government sanctioned crimes (such as War Crimes)? White collar? The robbing and pillaging of different countries for the sake of amassing a great empire. Beheading a beggar because he didn't move out of the way of Imperial forces quickly enough? I'd stick to modern accountings in which you could google the statistic of crime in general by years and countries etc., but I'm not sure you'll get anything from ancient Egypt, Roman Empire etc.............Hey, I'm not doing your homework for you am I? :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Edited by Sani-T-Capt1, 01 April 2012 - 09:17 PM.

Either We Learn to Live Together as People, Or Die Apart as Fools !

Ignorance ISN'T Bliss, It's Just "IGNORANCE"!!

#3 vox345

vox345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:18 PM

sorry, didn't realize laws had to be created to break and there are more to break now.
I was mostly wondering about violence and regular stealing though, like in general, are we more violent and steal more now then in the beginning.?

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:54 PM

hmmmm seeing as the first peoples kids got in fight, and one of them killed the other with a rock. . .id say violence has been around for awhile. (Genesis chapter 4)

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 Sani-T-Capt1

Sani-T-Capt1

• Members
  • 559 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:35 AM

sorry, didn't realize laws had to be created to break and there are more to break now.

Don't take my post the wrong way, if you did, then I apologize. I was just asking by what criteria are you asking this question, but to be honest, laws are created constantly to suit society's 'agenda du jour'. What may not have been contemplated as a criminal act years and even centuries ago are considered as some today. Case in point "child labor laws". What was considered the norm then is now a punishable offense. Now since you are talking about violence and theft per capita, there still isn't a definitive answer since many crimes go and have gone unreported for years, and with the advent of the world wide web, we now get instant coverage of most heinous crimes, some newsworthy crime and even local crime via online papers in an instant, which makes the incidents more glaring. I would say the only way to truly ascertain those statistics is via police statistical reports throughout each region of the world :thumbup2:
Either We Learn to Live Together as People, Or Die Apart as Fools !

Ignorance ISN'T Bliss, It's Just "IGNORANCE"!!

#6 MissPlaced

MissPlaced

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:51 AM

@ vox345,

:welcome: to BC!

Perhaps you should narrow your topic to something a little more realistic.....

Such as say....How socity deals with Crime now as oppossed to say 100 years ago??

in your present scenerio there are just too many variables.

MissPlaced

You want to be great, Learn how to heal people, To hurt people is easy

Be Kinder then you have to be,you never know what battle someone else is fighting~~~
~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:00 PM

Assuming you could arrive at a satisfactory definition of crime that would apply to all periods of history, you would have a difficult problem quantifying its rate before say 1800, since no accurate statistics would be available, and would have to rely on anecdotal "evidence."
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:24 PM

Is this for your personal study or is it by chance a school assignment? I'm curious why you are asking this question.

Personally, I think it has neither risen nor fallen. We just hear about it more because of technology which gives instant access to anything that happens.

I agree with jgweed on his statement. Some things are crimes and always will be-murder, robbery, theft, fraud, etc.

During Prohibition in the United States it was a crime to manufacture, sell, or transport alcohol. Criminal activity due to boot-legging increased. After the repeal of Prohibition it was no longer a criminal act to make, sell, or transport booze.

You cannot accruately compare crime rates throughout history because what once was criminal may not be now.

#9 vox345

vox345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:19 PM

no, not for school or anything, was just wondering.

#10 black_icon

black_icon

• Members
  • 199 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:53 PM

@ vox345,

I can only give simple answer to your complicated question. It is because yesterday is different from today and more different from tomorrow.
He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is FOOL but he who knows not and knows that he knows not is WISE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users