Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JannEd

JannEd

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:48 PM

Mod Edit: Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic447118.html/page__p__2650384#entry2650384 ~ Hamluis.

I would think that the CMOS battery might possibly need replacing, if the BIOS boot options are properly set.

"No boot device" would indicate a hardware recognition problem by the system if I saw it on my system. First thing I would do is enter the BIOS and check my boot options and recognition of hardware attached. If hardware is ostensibly attached but not recognized...I'd check the connections to the motherboard.

The lack or presence of an optical drive...should be of no importance at all if the boot options are set to boot from the hard drive.

Louis

Oh jeeeeeez!! I got another PC to "find out what is wrong". Gateway GT5405E Win Vista Home Premium. Same problem as his, the hdd isn't recognized. Strangest hdd I have ever seen! Anyhow, before I do anymore trouble shooting, will this really happen if the battery is dead? I can get into the BIOS but I won't go into that now. I just need to know about this battery thing. But if the battery is bad there is another error it gives and it is still keeping perfect time in the BIOS.

Thanks!!!

Edited by hamluis, 01 April 2012 - 08:00 PM.
PM sent new OP.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JannEd

JannEd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:57 PM

Thank you, hamluis. Let me tell you what I am up against. A woman who works under one of my daughters, gave her her tower to see if I can fix it. She said it crashed, which is a real understatement. But I think I can bring it back. I have never seen a SATA II hdd so I was surprised by that, no ribbon and all. The error I am getting at boot up is that it doesn't find a hdd. Went into the BIOS and the only place there that the hdd is seen, is the config where there are three options, IDE, RAID and some other one.

I Everything else seems to be in order, including the battery. I forgot to mention that it is a Gateway GT5405E and still as it came from the factory. So the specs at the site with that owl techie thing is what it is. Win Vista and no idea if that is up to date with all the service packs. I decided to see what I could do by putting in the Win 7 update. Where on earth is it putting all the files if C: isn't recognized? Got to a DOS prompt but could only get to X:. Tried the repair option, no luck. Everything is connected right on the hdd. The DVD-ROM is the Master, but I don't see where either of them is connected.

Give me a couple things to work on. Will be back on in the morning!!

Jann

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:53 AM

If the hard drive is not reflected in the main BIOS screen...along with the optical drive...I'd say that it cannot be detected by Windows and is either not connected properly or is failing. I would run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic (long test) on the hard drive to eliminate my concerns.

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

System Specs

Restore To Factory Defaults

Louis

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:15 PM

If the sata hard drive isn't recognized in the BIOS, as hamluis said, it's not recognized as existing in the computer.

Here are a few things that you could try:

• Enter BIOS and look for an option to "Set settings to factory default" or something similar to that. If you make changes, it's important to save settings when you exit. Reboot and test.
  • Sounds as if you have already had a look inside. Double check that the data cable (thin single wire) and the power cable (attached to the hard drive next to the data cable) are both firmly seated and that the data cable is firmly attached to the motherboard sata port.
  • If there is an unused motherboard sata port, move the hard drive data cable to that unused port. Ports can go bad on the motherboard. Restart and test.
  • If still "no go" you could remove the hard drive and attach it to another computer that has an open motherboard sata port available. If it's not recognized on that system, the drive is probably dead. As an alternative if you have access to an external USB hard drive adapter like this one, you could test the drive on any computer.
  • If the hard drive is recognized on this or another computer, it would be wise to run the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic software as previously referenced by hamluis.

Good luck.

Regards,
Brooks

#5 JannEd

JannEd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2012 - 11:28 PM

Hi ham! Sorry this is so late. I am at my daughter's and she is in Florida so I am watching her youngest, 15yo, the 3 dogs plus mine and making sure her oldest, 20 and her boyfriend don't leave and not come back. Been a week full of drama!! Anyhow, I did some more looking around in that computer, reattaching all the stuff the wires, etc. Making sure everything was tight and in the right place. Hard drive diagnostics. It is a DeskStar SATA II and it is toast. I have never dealt with that kind of hdd, never even knew they existed until this one, so I did learn a bunch of new things.

One thing I need to know: I would put in my Win7 upgrade disk and it booted to that, I got the writing windows files screen then the three boxes about place and language, then take the disk out and reboot to windows etc etc. That was all in one big Jann loop!!! Anyhow, that was how I would get to a command prompt. When I got to a command prompt it was X: and that is the drive, virtual (?), windows put all the files on that drive. So, is X: a virtual drive? I did dir and all of the directories were empty.

Since I am not at home, I couldn't put a regular hdd in there. The DVD-Rom also makes a lot of racket, leading me to believe that it is on the way out. That Gateway sure makes a heavy, big tower and crappy computers. I have a Gateway monitor connected to my Mac Mini and it works great!

Hope you had a wonderful Easter!!

Jann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users