Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cutting Off And Unrevivable Power Saving Mode

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 papilio

papilio

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 21 February 2006 - 01:41 AM

Hello, my computer has been just cutting off or going into power save mode for no reason. The screen goes blank. I push a button on the monitor and it says it is in power save mode and to push any key, touch mouse, or push the power button on the computer. I try all of these and none of them will revive the computer from this power save mode. The only thing I can do to restart my computer is to cut it off at the power strip. AHHHH, I know this is not good for it, but what else can I do?
I have a hp pavilion a1130n with windows xp, and I was using Microsoft Internet Explorer when it happened. And I was using the mouse looking around on Google Earth and it just cut off on me twice! It also happnes sometimes whenever I am playing Madden 2006. This thing may still be under warranty.

Is there something I can do? Or does this sound like a serious problem for and expert?

A while back my computer crashed. First, I bought an HP to replace it from Fry's. The hard drive was corrupt, and had numerous problems. I could tell right off the bat that this computer had serious problems. It was supposed to be new, but I had my doubts. The windows Media player did not work and the cd burner would not work right out of the box. The phone support told me to box it up and take back to the store, after receiving the results of a test they told me to run on it.

Next, I ordered a Dell offline. First thing I do is to try and copy a cd. It doesn't work. After two days on the phone with the tech assistance they tell me to box it up and send it back that the hard drive is corrupt.

Finally, I get to where I am now. I bought another HP from Best Buy, because I wanted the lightscribe and it seemed like an unbeatable deal. The only problem that I have had with this computer is this cutting off into and unrevivable power shaving mode. Usually when I am using something that has graphics like Madden 2006 or, just tonight, twice in a roll whenever I was using Google Earth. I had prayed that my computer nightmares were over with this one, but now it appears as though my curse may not be lifted. I am gonna check the reciept and find out if this thing is still under warranty. I will wait to say what yall say before I take it in, but I may call them tomorrow to see if it is still under warranty if I cannot determine that from my end.

Thanks

Papilio

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by papilio, 21 February 2006 - 01:44 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 23 February 2006 - 03:55 PM

Try updating your video drivers. Here's a link to the drivers at the ATI site: https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default...ge&folderID=293

I prefer to use the drivers from the video chip manufacturer - as I've had problems with video drivers (on HP's) from HP and Microsoft.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 23 February 2006 - 04:05 PM

Also,
Go into Power Options in the control panel and disable hibernate and standby.

#4 c-had

c-had

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 23 February 2006 - 04:54 PM

What everyone needs to remember here is that a lot of monitors will report "power save mode" when it actually means "there is no video signal coming from your computer". So your computer can totally lock or even lose power and the monitor will be the device displaying that the PC is in power save mode when it may not be.

I am going to go with the thought that your computer is hard locking or crashing instead of it being a hibernation issue. chkdsk /f should prompt a file system check on reboot, updating motherboard BIOS is always a good shot as well as video drivers as another poster mentioned. Just in case, make sure all hibernation support is turned off in control panel -> power options and in the bios.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users