Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer reboots after shutoff

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 straightupwv

straightupwv

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:34 PM

My wife has an HP D530 SFF that runs Windows XP Pro. It has a 2.8 gig P4 processor and has been upgraded to a 1.5 gig hard drive and 1.5 gigs of RAM. I also installed an MSI DVD burner. It behaved quite normally until I recently upgraded it to Service Pack 3, (from SP2). Now it reboots itself after it's been shut down. It takes anywhere from a few seconds to a minute to happen. If I unplug it for about 10 seconds after shutting it down and then plug it back in, it stays off. Does anyone know what might be causing this behavior of if maybe I've missed a setting somewhere that I'm not aware of? She has AOL on the computer. I don't know if this makes a difference or not. I'm just putting it out there. Thanks!

Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,616 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:41 PM

1) You might want to take a look at this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320299

2) Does it do the same thing if you shut down from safe mode?

#3 straightupwv

straightupwv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:14 PM

Thanks for the quick reply! I tried the setting suggested on the Microsoft support site but it's still rebooting instead of staying off. I never tried to shut it down from safe mode before so I tried it and the result was the same. I just did the SP3 update today so this is all brand new behavior. Do you have any other ideas?

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,616 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:42 AM

The fact that it does the same thing from safe mode eliminates software as the cause. You say this just began after updating to SP3? How exactly did you perform the update - and do you have an SP3 XP cd? If not, please create one (http://www.nliteos.com/) so we can do a repair install if needed.

Right now, I'd go to the HP website and check for a bios update and see if there is a newer chipset driver than you currently have installed.

#5 straightupwv

straightupwv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:28 PM

I downloaded SP3 from the Windows Update site. I'm not sure which item I should download on the page you sent me. Could you be more specific? In the meantime, I'll try the HP site and see what they have to offer. Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users