Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer freeze

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dgb27

dgb27

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:30 PM

A few days ago I was trying to copy a file to a usb drive and the computer froze. I couldn't access Task Manager and had to reboot to free everything up. Later when I tried to click on a game icon to open the program the computer froze up again and I had to reboot again. This has now happened several times over a few days. I have tried to find a solution but at at my wits end. I even tried system restore, but found there was nothing to restore, although I had created restore points in the past. I even tried installing an image of the system and other files, but that didn't work. Although I know a little about computers I am a novice at these sorts of problems.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 paulmaster

paulmaster

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:40 AM

the best way of unfreezing it is to turn it off and on again. without the help of professionals there is nothing you can do.

For more: http://www.techyv.com/questions/computer-becomes-freeze-when-i-play-any-game-desktop

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,553 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:04 AM

System freezes occur for many reasons, there is no simple answer.

Please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 .

Louis

#4 dgb27

dgb27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:32 PM

Thanks for your quick response. It seems the problem only happens when (a) I try to drag or copy a file to another window or usb drive and (B) when I try and open most games. The only game I am able to open is a mahjong one. When the freeze happens I cannot use the keyboard or mouse and therefore cannot access Task Manager. All I can do is reboot. The computer is only about 18 months old, so I shouldn't be having hardware problems. I recently updated some drivers, including Realtek for sound and Nvidia for graphics. The Nvidia update included 3D and I am wondering whether this is causing the problem with the games, but it doesn't make sense with the copy/drag problem.

Operating System
MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i5 760 @ 2.80GHz 50 C
Lynnfield 45nm Technology
RAM
4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. H55-USB3 (Socket 1156) 39 C
Graphics
BenQ G2420HD (1920x1080@60Hz)
1024MB GeForce GT 240 (nVidia) 42 C
Hard Drives
977GB Seagate ST31000528AS ATA Device (SATA) 28 C
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS50 ATA Device
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

#5 Compu-tar

Compu-tar

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:15 AM

The display driver is a maybe, but I wouldn't say it's the culprit. Have you check event viewer? Next freeze, open that and see what happened around the time it froze.

Cheers
"They say one of a baby's first non-verbal forms communication is pointing. Clicking must be somewhere just after that."

Ben

-Certified Computer Technician-

#6 dgb27

dgb27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:51 AM

Thanks to those who responded to my problem. However, none were even close to providing a solution. I had to re-install windows 7 then recover my programs and personal files from my backup plan.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,553 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:45 PM

Thanks for posting your resolution...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users