Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

is it the card or the technology?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 outmeal

outmeal

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:58 PM

Well i got this old laptop with win xp with a broken Wireless LAN card , however both lights blink .

I start up windows and the laptop finds 2 wireless networks, 1 of them is my network. I try to connect to my network with the right password and It wont go through. Do you think its the card or maybe my netgear router saying no ?

pic of Wireless card http://dl.dropbox.com/u/53289214/w%20lan%20card.jpg

screenshot of my wifi settings.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/53289214/wifi%20settings.jpg

they want me to buy them a new card because they think it wont connect to any router because its broken,
I suggest buying a USB wifi adapter for the same price.

Option #1 would be to replace the same w lan card but if its not going to work with new technology then its useless.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:48 PM

Turn your encryption off and change the wireless mode to accept 802.11B on your router. I would bet that card is only compatible with WEP and WPA and its only a 802.11B card your wireless is set for 802.11G/N

Edited by Sneakycyber, 01 April 2012 - 04:49 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 outmeal

outmeal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:39 PM

I turned off encryption and set mode to b/g/n (neighbor friendly) and It worked...

This old card supports 802.11B only . Thanks.

Bottom line is, the card is good only if you know the system administrator and ask him if he can change mode to /B/ lol
and since you cannot expect system administrators and new routers/wifi areas to support your card I suggest buying a USB wifi adapter for the same price.

Thank you Sneakycyber, I hope this helps other people for future references.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:13 AM

Your welcome B)

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +