Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internal card reader not recognized

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 deltacoolguy

deltacoolguy

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:45 PM

Internal card reader not recognized.

Computer is a Win 7/64 Professional. I bought a Startech.com internal 22-in-1 USB 2.0 Multi Media Memory Card Reader. Installed fine. Plugged in fine. Power light comes on. Then... nothing. The computer will not recognize the reader. There are no drivers, and the instructions say there is nothing left to do and that Windows will detect it and install it automatically. I did try a reboot... twice. Tried other internal USB plugs. Still no difference.

Any ideas? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:17 PM

Hi.

Windows will supply the drivers.
Either the plug is on wrong or you have a bad card reader.

New doesn't always mean good. If you have another computer to plug it in for testing then do that otherwise.

Sometimes parts arrive DOA (Dead on Arrival)

If you bought it online you need to set up a RMA with the seller
If you bought it locally let them test it and replace it if no good

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:49 PM

not 100% about this but it may be possible that the internal usb port is turned off in the bios/setup

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#4 deltacoolguy

deltacoolguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:28 AM

It appears to be 'on' in the BIOS.

I probably should give a little more background. I sometimes have a habit of confusing an issue by giving too much, but this time I may not have given enough.

I had an internal card reader in. I had to have the OS re-installed (by someone else) about three months ago. The old card reader did not do SDHC cards, so I bought another one. The computer came back with the old card reader not working. When I went to replace the old card reader with the new card reader I found that the old card reader wasn't even plugged in. "No problem", I thought.

Well, apparently, there is a problem. Neither card reader will work when plugged in. Like I said, the new reader gets power, but nothing else. I cannot tell if the old reader even gets power.

Unfortunately, I do not have another computer with which to test.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:10 AM

Hi, It is a Hardware or software problem.

Now we need to pin down which.

Why was the OS reloaded?

Do the external USB ports work. Do not depend on the past, Test again as the card reader could have damaged them or be keeping them from working. In the past I have seen hardware damage the USB ports. Not common but possible.

For software testing try burning to CD blank http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download

If you're using a CD: Put the Ubuntu CD into the CD/DVD-drive and restart the computer. You should see a welcome screen prompting you to choose your language and giving you the option to install Ubuntu or try it from the CD.

Be sure not to select install, choose Try It. Directions on the download page.

Try the card reader now, Does it work?

Make sure the card reader is on properly. Make sure the red wire is on the proper pin of the motherboard. Some can go on either way and some can only go on the right way.

Good Luck
Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#6 deltacoolguy

deltacoolguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:04 AM

The external USB ports/connections DO work.

I was able to download and burn Ubuntu, but was unable to get it to load from the disk. Took an hour just to get to the point where I could choose to try it from the disk. Then, after about 6 hrs of "spinning" according to the cursor I gave up and stopped the process.

I will find another computer to see if it will work and try to at least eliminate that possibility. I will report back what happens.

#7 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:11 AM

the Ubuntu download was a .ISO file ,did you use a program that unpacks the iso and burns the content to disk so that its bootable ,just copying the iso file to disk it will not boot ,ever

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:30 AM

Hi, I use imgburn to burn ISO files.
In case that is the problem.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/ImgBurn
http://www.videohelp.com/download/SetupImgBurn_2.5.7.0.exe

I also do not install the toolbar. I also uncheck the boxes to let it change my homepage and default search provider.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 06 April 2012 - 11:33 AM.

167 @ June 2015

#9 deltacoolguy

deltacoolguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:28 PM

I'm sure that's it. I took 'burn to disc' to mean copy to disc. I will do it correctly then report back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users