Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows BSOD after new GPU install

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 maksoka

maksoka

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:31 PM

Haven't posted on here in a while because, fortunately, I haven't had any issues in a while - but if someone can help me with this, I won't have to go to midtown on a Sunday just so I can throw my computer out of a higher window than my apartment.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit :

A few weeks ago I was doing normal stuff - web browsing, probably playing a game (SC2), and all of a sudden my screen starts turning this strange green color, then everything freezes. Earlier on in the month I had been having problems with my video card overheating so I assumed it was the same. I took it out, cleaned it up, and reseated it (fixed it the previous time). Worked fine for a bit, then what had been a weird green turned into purple streaks. Rebooted again, same problem, except then it progressed into giving me purple streaks during boot up. Either way, cleaning and reseating the card did nothing to fix the issue like it had the previous time - after a few reboots, I actually couldn't even get to the windows load screen and I figured it was time to replace the card, so I did that. (It was an old GeForce 9800GT)

Replaced the card with a Radeon 6850 HD. Windows boots up, gets past the load screen. Login goes fine. Then Blue Screened! I assumed it was drivers, or lack of drivers, as I had gone from an NVidia card to an AMD, but after going through reboot after reboot, and changing drivers, and deleting drivers, and uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, I kept getting the same thing. I could login to windows, but after about 20-30 seconds, I'd get blue screened.
I thought maybe it was still a driver issue (NVidia PhysX from my old card was still showing up in add/remove programs even after I deleted it) and I just got fed up, so I exchanged it and got a GTX 560 ti thinking maybe that would solve the driver problem. It did not.

After installing the GTX 560 ti, I get the same blue screen after the same amount of time (safe mode works fine). The windows error recovery window claims it has something to do with my version Symantec Endpoint Protection not being compatible with my version of Windows (I refused, and still kind of refuse, to believe that was the error, as I've had it for 2 years and never had any issue until I installed a new video card) and apparently you can't just uninstall SEP without making 23897498237 edits to your registry manually. I also just think that can't actually be the problem just because I've been running it without issue for so long on this machine, although srtspl64.sys does have something to do with Symantec according to Google.

I just tried making a Windows repair CD and running it but it did nothing to fix the problem so I'm out of ideas. I thought I'd post here before I resort to spending a year backing everything up and reformatting.

Problem Signature :
BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1

Additional Information about the problem:
BCCode:
1000007e
BCP1:
FFFFFFFFC0000005
BCP2:
FFFFF88007874700
BCP3:
FFFFF88003577608
BCP4:
FFFFF88003576E60
OS Version:
6_1_7601
Service Pack:
1_0
Product:
256_1

Thanks.

Edited by maksoka, 01 April 2012 - 07:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 maksoka

maksoka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:35 PM

img
Posted Image

Edited by maksoka, 01 April 2012 - 12:38 PM.

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:13 PM

Hi -
Are you able to start and run the cumputer in Safe Mode with Networking ??
Please see directions below from BC Tutorial -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/

Thank You -

#4 maksoka

maksoka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:16 PM

Yes - Safe mode and safe mode with networking both function normally.

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:40 PM

To have a basic look and see if there are any drivers / programs we can find could you try these directions below in Safe Mode with Networking

Please download BlueScreenView (in zip file)
  • Extract (right-click > Extract all) the contents of bluescreenview.zip.
  • Double-click on the BlueScreenView.exe file, to run the program. (No installation is required.)
  • When scanning is done (usually complete by the time the interface appears), go ...
  • Edit > Select All
  • File > Save Selected Items, and save the report to your Desktop as BSOD.txt.
  • Close the BlueScreenView window... ... ...
  • Open BSOD.txt using Notepad and go ... .... ..
  • Edit > Select All
  • Edit > Copy, and then paste the entire contents of the text file into your next reply.

Thank You -

#6 maksoka

maksoka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:47 PM

==================================================
Dump File : 040112-17206-01.dmp
Crash Time : 4/1/2012 6:34:33 PM
Bug Check String : SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug Check Code : 0x1000007e
Parameter 1 : ffffffff`c0000005
Parameter 2 : fffff880`07874700
Parameter 3 : fffff880`03577608
Parameter 4 : fffff880`03576e60
Caused By Driver : SRTSPL64.SYS
Caused By Address : SRTSPL64.SYS+536c0
File Description : Symantec AutoProtect
Product Name : AutoProtect
Company : Symantec Corporation
File Version : 10.2.7.10
Processor : x64
Crash Address : SRTSPL64.SYS+53700
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\040112-17206-01.dmp
Processors Count : 8
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 7601
Dump File Size : 270,552

Dump File : 040112-25147-01.dmp
Crash Time : 4/1/2012 2:04:15 PM
Bug Check String : SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug Check Code : 0x1000007e
Parameter 1 : ffffffff`c0000005
Parameter 2 : fffff880`06853700
Parameter 3 : fffff880`0355b608
Parameter 4 : fffff880`0355ae60
File Version : 10.2.7.10
Processor : x64
Crash Address : SRTSPL64.SYS+53700
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\040112-25147-01.dmp
Processors Count : 8
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 7601
Dump File Size : 270,552

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:58 PM

Thank you for the fast post - I usually come back after 1 hour and sometimes find it there - 6 to 7 mins is a record :P

Please wait a while so someone can search for information on the report -

Regards -

#8 maksoka

maksoka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:02 PM

Ha - no problem. Thanks for the help. I've been trying to fix this on and off for several days now and I'm basically dying to find a solution that doesn't involve me reformatting because I'd have to back up.....for like a year. That and I've had to do all of my work on my Mac laptop which is making me a generally less happy person.

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:25 PM

(I refused, and still kind of refuse, to believe that was the error, as I've had it for 2 years and never had any issue until I installed a new video card)

From jcgriff2 the most qualified BSOD expert that I know of - Edited version -

QUOTE -
I had been testing Symantec Endpoint for the last few months and thought they may have finally written a winner for Vista and Windows 7.
Endpoint consumed less resources than other Symantec/ Norton products like NIS or 360. The GUI was user-friendly and the firewall settings were easily modified.

Then as if I needed reminding myself - BSODs on the Vista x64 running Endpoint. I ran the kernel dumps and they pointed right to Symantec Endpoint as the cause. The bugcheck - Endpoint driver srtspl64.sys.

The solution to my BSODs - un-install Symantec anti-virus, run the Norton Removal Tool, reset the Windows Firewall to default settings and installed ESET NOD32 anti-virus. The BSODs - gone - along with Symantec Endpoint.
END QUOTE -

After using the normal uninstall process this is the latest version of the Norton Removal Tool that I have -
You may also wish to check if there is a later version of the removal tool (I use Norton / Symantic forum) -

Sorry, but there is a clear conflict showing with your Norton / Symantec and the BSOD problem

Thank You -

#10 maksoka

maksoka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:34 PM

SEP is the only Symantec product that I have (or shows up) on my add/remove programs list. When I try to use that, I get "Windows service installer could not be accessed." I assume that's because I'm in safemode? I don't have enough time to uninstall it in normal mode though before it BSODs. When I use the Norton Removal Tool I get -

The following applications were found on this computer. These must be removed through add/remove programs before Norton removal tool can proceed :
Symantec AntiVirus 9 or later.

#11 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:47 PM

AustrAlien may have a better solution as he is also very interested in BSOD problems -
EDIT -
Still trying to work a solution to removal of SEP (Symantec Endpoint Protection) removal in safe mode
I may need to visit another forum and discuss the problem for a while

Please check back later if I find more information -

Edited by noknojon, 01 April 2012 - 07:19 PM.

#12 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:48 PM

You are right about using Safe Mode to Disable / Uninstall SEP manually, a real bummer :angry:
•How to manually uninstall Symantec Endpoint Protection client from Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 2008 32-bit
If you are not able to use "Last Known Good Configuration" (or your units wording), instead of the Safe Mode that we are using now, then the link above is the only method I have found (so far) that fully removes it -

SafeMSI.exe - Start Windows Installer Service in Safe Mode - I have just found this tool but I have never tested it -
It seems that you can load it to a flash drive or use it directly from the download on the page -
This was one comment posted to the site "Just uninstalled symantec endpoint from safemode"

If you do choose use it, please reply with the results

Thank You -

#13 maksoka

maksoka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:29 PM

Well, I gave that SafeMSI a shot - looks like it worked right off the bat. Saved it to desktop and ran the .exe giving me a prompt saying Windows service installer was enabled. Was able to use add/remove programs to remove SEP immediately. Rebooted. So far, no BSOD, although now it seems Windows won't recognize my new card (although that is an entirely different problem). Looks like this might be resolved....though I don't want to speak too soon. Thanks for all your help noknojon.

#14 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:13 PM

Hi -
No problem with the helping if you have solved your problem so far
I hope you installed another Antivirus (I just use MSE) and make sure you activate the Windows7 Firewall, as you have removed all other active protection

Did the GTX 560 ti come with an install CD or are you still looking for the drivers on the web -

Regards -

#15 maksoka

maksoka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:23 AM

So far the computer hasn't BSOD'd and has been running for a couple of hours. I have no idea why Symantec would act up like that all of a sudden after running issue free for so long. I have no other AV at the moment, will probably get MSE as I'm a little upset with Symantec now. My firewall is always up.

The GTX 560 ti came with a driver CD but it looks like those are out of date already. I ended up using the detector on the NVidia site to auto download drivers and it seems to be running smoothly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users