Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SATA Controller card issues...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mjl1297

mjl1297

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:34 AM

I recently purchased a Rosewill RC-209-EX controller card so that I could add a few extra SATA ports to my computer. I have a dual boot XP Pro (32 bit) and Win 7 (64 bit) with each OS on a separate drive. Neither of these drives is plugged into the SATA card. I am not wanting to boot off the SATA card or set up a RAID array, I simply want to add a few extra SATA ports as stated.

When booting I select the boot drive from within the BIOS rather than using a boot manager. Since installing the card the BIOS on the card appears to be overriding the MB BIOS and now I can no longer get to the boot menu that enables me to select the drive I want to launch. It defaults to XP when both drives are connected and 7 if that is the only OS connected. It also seems to add substantially to the boot time on 7.

Is there anything I can do to remedy these two situations? I want to be able to boot either one OS or the other with both drives connected and I want to reduce the Win 7 bootup time with the SATA card connected. Many thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:40 AM

Your system BIOS options...should appear before the controller card BIOS ever comes up...card BIOS should appear just before boot, IME.

One should not impact the other...unless you have the system set up to boot from the controller card.

System manufacturer and model...if custom-built, motherboard?

Louis

#3 mjl1297

mjl1297
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:02 PM

The MB is an Asus M4N82 Deluxe with the latest BIOS installed. I do get a very brief scroll of the MB BIOS but the drives attached are not listed like they used to be. It just goes almost immediately to XP if both drives are attached.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2012 - 01:01 PM

The scroll is not important, IMO...can you boot into the system BIOS...and check the settings?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 06 April 2012 - 03:51 PM.

#5 mjl1297

mjl1297
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:46 PM

hamluis thanks for your help but I've since determined that the controller card appears to conflict with some of the drivers in my motherboard's chipset. I've returned the card and enabled AHCI in the BIOS when booting Win 7 Pro and now I have some of the extra SATA ports I was after. Should have done that in the first place but I was hoping the card would work. In spite of the PCI bottleneck, the card would have afforded an extra pair of SATA ports at my disposal. Ah well...can't win them all.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:57 PM

Well...I have 3 controller cards (1 High Point, 2 Promise) and my experience is that issues with either of them usually relate to having the proper driver installed.

Generally, the controller card/drivers should present no problems for any version of Windows other than XP...and that "problem" only arises when user intends to install XP on drive attached to controller card.

I can use either of my cards to attach either PATA or SATA storage drives with no problems.

Next time, I would go with a High Point controller card, if it were me :).

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 06 April 2012 - 03:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users