Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 7 / browsers redirect that isn't caused by a virus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 johnwmd

johnwmd

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:13 AM

I have been having a problem with my browser and windows explore reverting back to the starting page/point. After some time of use, (sometimes this starts right away, sometimes it doesn't) when I am using iexplorer, whatever tab I am on, it starts clicking back wards through the previously visited pages until it comes to rest at my home page. If I click to one of the other open tabs, it does the same.

I also have the windows sound "device disconnect" sounding every 30 seconds or so. I stared out resolving this problem in the virus forum but after working through that, it has been determined it is not an infection.

Here is the advice: " Posted Today, 04:29 AM

Okay, johnwmd, I believe this is not an infection. Please post a new topic in the Windows 7 forum and await some help there.

I will keep this open for five days, after that you can PM me if you need to.

Here is a link to the other forum:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic446820.html/page__st__30__gopid__2649497#entry2649497

Pleas help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:53 PM

Hi -
Please note that from your installed programs (I think the OTL scan) you have these older Java versions listed as installed -
Java™ 6 Update 5
Java™ 6 Update 7
Java™ 6 Update 24
Although you also have Java Auto Updater installed, it appears not to be removing and updating your Java -

Please open Control Panel and locate Java (looks like a coffee cup), then click on the second tab (update)
I think it should update from there, and you then need to open Programs and Features to delete all older installed versions

Not a cure, but a start (m0le just missed this item) -

Regards -

#3 johnwmd

johnwmd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:52 PM

I have done that but problem still there

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:22 AM

Something for you to try: Reset Interent Explorer. If it works, great. If not no harm done by trying.

Start menu/Control Panel/Internet Options

Advanced tab.

Reset Internet Explorer settings is at the bottom of Advanced.

Click Reset.

You will asked to confirm that you want to reset. At this point, you can either delete personal
settings or keep them.

Click the reset button.

After reset, your home page will be set to msn.com

You can easily change it to the page you prefer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users