Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is the average life-expectancy of a Dell Dimension 1100 desktop computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 donaldfleming

donaldfleming

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:58 AM

I have Dell Dimension 1100 desktop computer that is seven years old.

The computer is turned on 12 hours per day and is used on average three hours per day, mainly to send / receive emails, surf the web, use Word Office software and stream movies.

Last year it went very slow, but after a service and the insertion of an additional 1GB of RAM, it regained a reasonable level of performance. It now has I.25 GB of RAM.

My question is this. What is the average life-expectancy of this type of computer.

Sometimes Dell offers a trade-in deal in respect of old computers (provided that they are functional).

If I could estimate when my present computer was almost at the end of its life, I might be able to take advantage of such a deal.

Edited by donaldfleming, 01 April 2012 - 09:05 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:56 PM

the fact you have gotten 7 years out of it is already amazing, average life expectancy of most OEM computers is around 5 years, but with that being said its next to impossible to know exactly how long any certain computer will last. I will say this, at 7 years old your about due for a new one anyway-even if it runs for another 2 years, its already so obsolete you cant do much with it anymore.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:21 PM

I would say it has enough horsepower to get you through those tasks you have mentioned. So i would just keep saving up until the system becomes inadequate for your uses.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 fruch

fruch

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:10 AM

I have to agree with killerx on this one. As long as it is working and serving your needs hold on to it. I'm still using my almost 5 year old Gateway and it is still running fine. In the meantime you could be putting some cash away for the day you see a really good deal or your current machine fails. By the way, if you are looking to go with another Dell machine, I would think twice. I've been seeing a number of Dell machines developing problems after only a year or so. I'm an instructor in a large computer club and I help members with their machines. Dell seems to be riding on its name and reputation. The Dell you would buy today probably won't last as long as the one you have now.

In the meantime, treat your current machine well. Keep up regular maintenance, make sure the case is well ventilated - add an extra fan if it seems to be running extra warm/hot. Heat is the enemy of your machine. Clean out the inside with some canned air now and then. I usually reinstall my operating system once a year. It seems to be working because my machine is running really well.

Edited by fruch, 08 April 2012 - 07:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users