Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2wire 802.11g Usb Network Adapter Fizzled Out

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Giacchetti

Michael Giacchetti

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 21 February 2006 - 12:02 AM

Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Well. Combated viruses, added firewall, antivirus, etc... Now, the problem lies with the network adapter.

Shortly before running the virus scan at trend micro, I was noticing that the computer had this problem:
  • turn on
  • load bios
  • load windows
  • auto restart
  • auto restart
  • auto restart
  • auto restart
  • auto restart
  • auto restart
  • auto restart

• Pull Plug
  • turn on
  • load bios
  • load windows
  • finally goes into windows.
Well i installed WinPatrol, and disabled many many startup programs, and that did the job... ran trend micro, and found over 20 viruses. Now (the owner fiddled with the bios) the network adapter quit working... The usb ports seem to not respond to anything....

What could cause this?

The computer doesnt see anything plugged into USB.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2006 - 02:04 AM

Have you gone into the BIOS and check to see if the onboard USB bus has been disabled? Unless he/she has customize setting to start his/her computer you could reset te BIOS and see if that solves the problem. There will be a Reset to default in the Exit menu in the BIOS.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Michael Giacchetti

Michael Giacchetti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2006 - 02:22 AM

Have you gone into the BIOS and check to see if the onboard USB bus has been disabled? Unless he/she has customize setting to start his/her computer you could reset te BIOS and see if that solves the problem. There will be a Reset to default in the Exit menu in the BIOS.

Did that, nothing.... I was thinking that would be the prob. because he was having the restart prob again.. so he set to optimised and supposedly, thats when the prob started.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2006 - 02:29 AM

Another option I have used with success. Delete the USB bus from the Device Manager and allow XP to reinstall. I do not like USB. I think you would save yourself a headache by getting an old 3Com 3C905B-TX PCI card ($5) and ditching the USB. For me USB is a pain at best. Just a suggestion.

#5 Michael Giacchetti

Michael Giacchetti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2006 - 02:40 AM

aah but not wireless.... n e way, I'll give that a go... He has 2 usb's built in to the m'board, but only one thing is showing up in the device manager.... hmmmm

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2006 - 03:22 AM

I did not think about wireless. Did not notice it in the title, but if you must...

http://store.yahoo.com/justdeals/ma311na.html

http://store.yahoo.com/justdeals/wag311nar.html

#7 Michael Giacchetti

Michael Giacchetti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2006 - 01:39 PM

• Press Windows Button & Pause/Break to go to the System Properties (or right click on My Computer and choose Properties, but the other way is more fun.)

• Choose Device Manager.

• Expand the Universal Serial Bus controllers section

• Right click and choose Properties of one that says something about PCI bridge (I forget the exact name and after you fix the problem, this item goes away. If you aren't sure, you try step 5 and 6 on all of the USB items in that list.)

• Click on the Driver Tab (it's kinda slow loading).

• If the driver information on top says "Not found" or "Not installed" then click Update Driver... and let it look for the driver itself (I didn't need the XP CD but that might be because I keep a copy of it on my hard drive just incase. You might need it, I don't know.)

• After it finds the driver, click Okay and USB should start working immediately - no reboots needed!
Found this online, but it pertains to win xp upgrade from 98*Grinler
The thing is, It was working one day, and the next, it stopped........

And only one thing shows up in the device manager under universal serial bus controllers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users