Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen Resolution Brightness.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gbull

gbull

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:02 AM

I like my Toshiba Portege M300 because of compact size, etc. Recently I needed a new hard disk and my repairer loaded W7. I used XP previously and Toshiba do not recommend W7 for this notebook due to age. However, all is working well apart from the screen brightness adjustment. This was previously done by the Fn+F6/F7 hotkeys and there was a driver for this.

In W7 Screen Resolution there is supposed to be a brightness slider but this is not present on my W7 system (I gather that this not an uncommon feature)

How can I adjust the setting sin my notebook to fix a brightness as I am resigned to the fact that the old brightness adjustment will not apply now that I am using W7? Is there a change in the Bios that might help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:08 AM

I didn't think that the brightness settings of Fn+F6/F7 were affected by the OS but I've been wrong about stuff like that before :)

In the BIOS, there should be some kind of power or battery settings section that may have some LCD brightness settings that you can try tweaking.

James

#3 gbull

gbull
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:03 AM

Thanks NSD. I've studied other forums and many folks seem to have had their hotkeys compromised by W7.

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:53 AM

Yeah, I saw it happen with the Ubuntu Linux Netbook version a couple of years ago. For that it was something to do with the drivers for the power management (make the battery last longer) which was fixed simply by changing a value in a config file.

If you can't fix it in the battery management settings of your BIOS, take a look at the power management settings in Windows 7.

Click the Windows orb in the lower left corner (used to be the START button in XP)
in the Search Programs and Files textbox type

power-saving

and you should see the Change Power-Saving Settings link

There might be something in there that helps.

I am curious. If you do go into the BIOS can you try Fn+F6/F7 and let me know if it works in the BIOS?

James

#5 gbull

gbull
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:10 AM

James:

I'll get back to you on this shortly.

#6 gbull

gbull
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:09 AM

James:

Tried the two options in BIOS but neither work. The Fn+F6/F7 worked well for me using XP but there are no drivers for W7 and this older machine! Couldn't find a driver for Vista on this Portege so shall just have to resign myself to working with a dim screen at times. When powered on and attached to mains power supply the brightness is OK so shall just go through the regime........... Thanks for your interest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users