Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can Not Reload Windows Xp

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 marmac09

marmac09

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 20 February 2006 - 11:55 PM

I purchased a Dell Inspiron 6000 in September for my son. He used it at college, doing all the downloading that college kids do, and suddenly the computer was spontaneously rebooting and or going to a blue screen. He did have McAffee antivirus software running or so he says. Anyway to make a long story short, he attempted to reload Windows, repartioned, but when loading WIndows it would also reboot to a black screen. It shows an error so briefly then goes to reboot.

I have spent countless hours on the phone with Dell, sent the system back to Dell to be checked, just received it back with the note that they replaced the system board and updated the BIOS. Tried to reload Windows and same problem.

Is this a deeply inbedded virus that won't let me reload Windows or is it still a hardware problem? HELP!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 21 February 2006 - 12:20 AM

How are you trying to reload the OS??
Are you using a retail version of XP or the factory restore CD's???

Windows XP Clean Install (Interactive Setup)
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 21 February 2006 - 08:26 AM

This could also easily be a hardware problem, especially RAM related. Do you happen to have two pieces of RAM installed on this computer? If so, remove one piece and try to install XP again. If problems continue, switch pieces and attempt it again.

It would also be nice to know what error messages the blue screens gave, and it may be helpful to know exactly where in the installing process the errors happen.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2006 - 08:44 AM

Do a Drive Wipe. Then FORMAT. He may have a boot sector virus that won't all the installation till you remove it.

http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/faq...llfmt_what.html
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2006 - 05:17 PM

Shouldn't Dell have reloaded the op system when they had it?

#6 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 21 February 2006 - 05:19 PM

Shouldn't Dell have reloaded the op system when they had it?

Not to speak out of turn here, but if it was in for a warranty repair, the software is not covered. So, it very well could be that Dell replaced the hardware, but will just give it back with an empty hard drive. It is now their customer's problem.

But, of course, I do not know if this is true in this case, I have just seen it happen in others.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 21 February 2006 - 05:20 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#7 marmac09

marmac09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2006 - 10:46 PM

I am using the Dell reinstallation CD that came with the computer. I would think Dell would have check the RAM when they had it? The Drive Wipe idea sounds like the best one so far, because I do suspect that it was a virus that started this. Do I have to purchase that from Seagate? How do I get to a DOS prompt to FORMAT after I do the DRIVE WIPE. Is the FORMAT the same as FDISK was in older operating systems? Or could I just reload after the cleaning?

Thanks for all your help everyone.

#8 marmac09

marmac09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2006 - 11:05 PM

I forgot to mention that the hard drive was also replaced before I sent it off to Dell. Would there still be a boot sector virus if it has a new hard drive?

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2006 - 12:02 AM

The boot sector is contained on the hard drive, so no. Please do not assume anything. Here are a couple of memory tests...

Memtest86 "A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic"
MicroSoft's Memory Test
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2006 - 05:08 AM

If the disk you have is a full, destructive restore disk it should automatically format and wipe the drive.

You said it was a new hard drive - what is there to wipe?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users