Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP DV7 laptop restarts

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bjwdds544

bjwdds544

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:22 AM

I have a newer HP DV7 Laptop which has a dual core intel processor, 6 Gig of ram, 750 HDD all the usual things, plus a fingerprint reader to log in. It also has a 9 hr battery which in reality is 4 hrs and is big. It has ATI graphics and is a great computer.
Except, it restarts itself every hour or so. I bought it at Best Buy as "open Box" return and got an extended warranty with their geek squad. I have taken it in to them and they stress tested it and didnt see it. Meanwhile, it is restarting more frequently and I took it back a second time and it went to their service center. They tested it and found nothing. Now I discover that we had a misunderstanding about restart vs. shutdown. I found out (they say)that restarts do not show up on the log files? Also, Sometimes the screen goes totally bizarre and locks up, but not often. My asking a computer tech about it resulted in his saying it is a "hardware problem" What do you all say?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:06 AM

My asking a computer tech about it resulted in his saying it is a "hardware problem" What do you all say?

If it is restarting every hour in normal Windows, you could try running it in "Safe Mode " If it restarts in Safe Mode as well, there is a greater chance the problem is hardware related.

If it doesn't restart in Safe Mode but does in normal Windows, then you have to rule out a possible software cause. Performing a "Clean Startup" per this Microsoft link is certainly time consuming but may help you narrow down the problem if it is software related.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 kisk

kisk

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:20 PM

Have you checked temps?

Get an app like CoreTemp and let us know what you're values are. The DV series have always ran very hot.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users