Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Direct Connect

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 20 February 2006 - 11:40 PM

I was wondering what steps one would take to directly connect two computers Running XP.

Is it possible to simply set up APIPA and share the resources that i want access to?

Do I need to make any special changes to the Properties of TCP/IP that is binded to the Adapter I'm using?

Just to clarify, I wanted to connect two computers directly using RJ 45 and Share the Desktop and My Documents folders.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 21 February 2006 - 02:20 AM

You will need a Crossover Cable. The enter New Connection Wizard and setup a direct connection.
If you want to control one computer with another, download and install RealVNC. Install the server software of VNC on the computer you wish to control and the client software on the remote computer you wish to access it with. You can install both softwares on both if you wish. When running you will see the remote computers desktop on the remote computer's screen, and have full control.

I know you did not ask for the following , but I though you may want to know your options.
You can also connect them with a hub\switch\router using a ethernet Patch Cable. I would recommend a router if you are going to connect a HSI like DSL or Cable later. A inexpensive router is $40 at Walmart, and two ethernet patch cables.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 RandomUser

RandomUser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2006 - 09:31 PM

Less any software, isn't it possible to simply use the Crossover cable, and set up an IP Address on both, and share files directly?

BTW, the New Connection wizard doesn't seem to have an option for a Crossover cable. UPnP over Ethernet maybe. It also offers serial Connections, or File Transfer Cable, but now Crossover Option.

I want to try this without a router or any software, bc I'm told it can be done. The reasoning for this is merely to understand how it works based on the OSI model and how two windows machines would view each other in this configuration.

Any further Ideas?

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2006 - 09:45 PM

I may be missing something. Could you look it over for me. About haft way down the page.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/n...d/getsetup.mspx

Ethernet network: what you'll need
For two computers:

Network cards for each computer

Crossover cable

Networking only two computers together? With Ethernet technology, a two-computer network is the simplest of all to install. Each computer needs an Ethernet network card inside, and then you can run a crossover cable between them. That's it! It's not much different than plugging an appliance into the wall. Note that an Ethernet crossover cable is not the same thing as an Ethernet patch cable. We'll cover patch cables next.

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 22 February 2006 - 06:17 AM

isn't it possible to simply use the Crossover cable, and set up an IP Address on both, and share files directly?

Certainly, that is the "worlds simplest network". But it is still a network, a LAN, and you have to configure the computers to access that LAN. Using the 'New Connection Wizard' is just the easiest way to ensure all the steps have been covered. Both PCs must belong to the same workgroup, file and printer sharing must be enabled and you have to share any device or folder which you want the other PC to have access to.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2006 - 07:04 AM

BTW If you do have DSL, Cable,ISDN, even dialup you can share the connection by putting a second card in one machine and ting it directly to the internet. Run the NCW a second time selecting the second NIC as the connection to the internet. This way you don't need a router.
I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS ! Without a router you take a very real risk of being attackec from an outside source, although you could place a software firewall on the gateway computer.
This was just an example of how power the home networking features are on XP.

#7 RandomUser

RandomUser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2006 - 02:30 PM

Maybe I was making this too difficult. When I tried connecting two computers (Crossover Cable) The network Setup Wizard assumed I was using a Serial Cable of some type. Never talk about Crossover cable. further the Description in windows was

A direct Cable Connection. nothing stated about crossover cable. And it asked me to set a Com Port. (For Ethernet?) Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Both machines were a part of the same workgroup. Windows stated Limited or No Connectivity.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2006 - 03:56 PM

Try without the NCW.

Plug it in and see if it connects. You may have to assign it an IP address.
On computer one use 192.168.1.2 and computer two 192.168.1.3
Did you read the entire article?

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/n...d/getsetup.mspx

Networking only two computers together? With Ethernet technology, a two-computer network is the simplest of all to install. Each computer needs an Ethernet network card inside, and then you can run a crossover cable between them. That's it! It's not much different than plugging an appliance into the wall. Note that an Ethernet crossover cable is not the same thing as an Ethernet patch cable. We'll cover patch cables next.

#9 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 22 February 2006 - 08:11 PM

Forget Direct Cable Connection you are connecting these computers to a LAN using their Ethernet ports. There will be no mention of a crossover cable because that is simply a bit of trickery to enable both PC's to talk to one another. It has nothing to do with the networking method you use.

Edited by Rimmer, 22 February 2006 - 08:12 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#10 RandomUser

RandomUser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2006 - 03:08 PM

I think i get it now. I'm going to try this again next week and hope it works. Thanks for all the replies.

I'll let you know what happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users