Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard returning incorrect values, text, etc.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Tumbo

Tumbo

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:14 PM

About a year ago I posted about a problem that I was having with a Dell D420 keyboard:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic388363.html

Anyways, over the year I've had really mixed results with replacing the keyboard. On some occasions, the keyboard will work fine for months at a time, new or used keyboard as a replacement. On other occasions, the keyboard will work for a few days, then start with the problem again. In my latest round, the replacement (used) keyboard worked for a day, then started with the same problem again.

USB keyboards always seem to work fine.

Does anyone have any other suggestions about how to fix this keyboard problem?

Thanks -

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:20 PM

Most likely the same suggestion given on your previous thread. Could this be a cause for the most frequent usage of same keystrokes or other?

Tekken

#3 Tumbo

Tumbo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:36 PM

Hard to say. The original keyboard lasted years, the first new Dell replacement lasted 3 months, the next new one (free replacement from Dell) lasted 7 months, the next used one lasted 2 months, and the latest used one lasted 1 day.

It really seems to be the n, b and spacebar keys, along with the backslash keys that give all sorts of different returns:

1. the b key likes to minimize the window, or give the document drop down menu
2. the n key likes to return the backslash, or spaces
3. the spacebar likes to return n, b, spaces, backslash, minimize window or document dropdown menu
4. The backslash key likes to do everything noted in #3

I am at a loss as to what to do...

#4 Tumbo

Tumbo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:33 AM

I recently ran a hardware diagnostic on all hardware and got an error code while doing the manual portion of the sticky key keyboard test: 2C00:021C. All other hardware checked out fine.

Could it be the keyboard controller chip, even though the USB keyboard works fine?

Anyone??

#5 Tumbo

Tumbo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:59 AM

Note: it was actually the Key Sequence Test that failed, not the Sticky Key Test.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:07 AM

keyboard test: 2C00:021C

2C00-021C keyboard.mdm
Key Sequence Test
The test was stopped before all keys on the keyboard were pressed
Keyboard
Cable
Motherboard
Courtesy from this Link and ipaine.

Edited by jhayz, 06 April 2012 - 03:09 AM.

Tekken

#7 Tumbo

Tumbo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:10 AM

Thanks for the reply. I actually saw that post a couple of hours ago. I'm not sure if it means that there is a problem with the motherboard, or the cable connection. The motherboard tested fine, so...???

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:14 AM

The three possible things and since you have replaced the keyboard not just once, then the cable connector/holder is the next culprit.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users