Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

replaced Vista with XP on laptop and can't connect to the internet

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Twinmum

Twinmum

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:12 PM

The story so far...
I have an Acer5315 laptop that came with Vista. The laptop is several years old now and doesn't get used much. When we connected to the internet, we used an ethernet cable connected to our wireless modem/router.
We decided to reformat it and replace Vista with XP and start afresh and just have it for a few basic tasks including using it for itunes with all our various devices.
I'm not extremely computer savvy, but I can follow directions and I can do most things with the right instructions.
So I looked into how to go about the task and found a number of tutes/instructions that all seemed very similar, so I figured that they must be what I had to do.
The one I followed explained that I needed to take note of a few devices before hand for the purpose of getting correct drivers.
The devices I took note of were:
Display Adapters
Mobile Intel ® 965Express Chipset family
Network Adapter
Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter
Broadcom Netlink ™ Fast Ethernet
Modems
Agere Systems HDA Moodem

I went looking for the drivers before I started and downloaded what I assume is the drivers for each.

So then I went about replacing Vista with XP. All went well, but now when I try to connect nothing happens. I'm pretty sure that the problem is to do with the drivers, but I'm not sure what to actually do with these files I have. When I go into the device manager, there isn't even any mention of networks and modems.

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction to get it back up and running.

Thanks, Norma

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:28 PM

Hi -
First, did XP fully install and is the laptop operating like an XP, and what version of XP was installed (Home, Pro, Media Edition) ??
Did you follow the basics at > Control Panel > Network connections > "Create a new connection" tutorial built into XP ??

You can also try the below directions ->
From the command prompt or from Run Box, type the following, pressing enter after each line :

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
netsh winsock reset

Thank You -

#3 Twinmum

Twinmum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:11 PM

I installed XP Home Edition. I'm pretty sure it fully installed.. how can I tell if it didn't?
I created a new connection in network connections. I think I picked the right selection, but now I'm not sure of what I should have done.
The setup we have is as follows
My main computer is running Vista It is connected to a wireless modem router which in turn is connected to our phone line for the ADSL. We have a second computer which is connected to the modem also via an ethernet cable. We connect wirelessly to the system from various netbooks, ipods and such.
We used to always connect the laptop via a cable to the modem.
One of the options in creating a new network connection wanted me to run the XP cd in the main computer.. do I have to change things on my main computer just to connect the laptop?

I tried those directions in the run box, but nothing has changed.

#4 RedHotDiggityDawg

RedHotDiggityDawg

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:26 PM

Are you able to get to the desktop after the fresh install of Windows XP? If so:

click "Start" -> right-click "my computer" -> select "properties" - select "hardware" tab -> click "device manager"...Are there any yellow question marks there?

If so, then locate drivers for those specific areas...

Also, check to make sure the wireless switch is on...some laptops have a "slider button" on the front, it may be turned off...

Rich

Edited by RedHotDiggityDawg, 31 March 2012 - 08:29 PM.

#5 Twinmum

Twinmum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:33 PM

Are you able to get to the desktop after the fresh install of Windows XP? If so:

click "Start" -> right-click "my computer" -> select "properties" - select "hardware" tab -> click "device manager"...Are there any yellow question marks there?

If so, then locate drivers for those specific areas...

Also, check to make sure the wireless switch is on...some laptops have a "slider button" on the front, it may be turned off...

Rich

Yes under Other Devices - All have yellow question marks
Ethernet controller (this is actually in the list twice)
PCI Device
SM Bus Controller
Video Controller
Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

Which leads to the next question, how do I locate the drivers?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:37 PM

http://support.acer.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?tab=1&modelId=50 , courtesy of Acer website.

Louis

#7 RedHotDiggityDawg

RedHotDiggityDawg

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:46 PM

Yes under Other Devices - All have yellow question marks
Ethernet controller (this is actually in the list twice)
PCI Device
SM Bus Controller
Video Controller
Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

Which leads to the next question, how do I locate the drivers?

If you have another computer you can get it with that, just find them online, get a flash drive, and download them onto the flash drive. Then plug that into the usb port and extract/install those drivers for those specific yellow question mark areas...also the link the gentleman posted above may be useful...

#8 Twinmum

Twinmum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:54 PM

Getting the files is not the problem, I currently have the laptop set up next to my main computer (this one is connected to the net) and I have an external hard drive I can plug into whichever computer I want.
My main question is how do I know what I'm looking for?
That link to driver downloads doesn't really have anything that I can see that matches what I need drivers for. The list of what I need seems very generic, would I just google Ethernet Controller driver for XP?

Edit - I searched for Ethernet Controller driver for XP and got one , but it was an Intel one and when I tried to run it, it said there was no Intel device. Of course when I looked over my notes, the network controllers on the laptop are Atheros and Broadcom. I have a driver for Atheros but it came in a zipped file and I have no idea where to put the files and none of them is an executable file.

Edited by Twinmum, 31 March 2012 - 10:01 PM.

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:05 PM

Please look at the link left by hamluis, and across the top of the panel is Top Answers -
These items listed below and many more are contained there for your reading

?Do I need to remove the battery when using my AC Adapter?
?Why is the system memory reporting in System Information less than 4GB with 4GB or more installed?
?How do I maintain and store my notebook battery?
?Where is the serial number located on my notebook or netbook?
?How do I find my current BIOS version?
?How do I restore my computer using the eRecovery Management program?
?How do I reinstall the Operating System on my computer?
?Where can I find specifications and information about my product?
?How do I use the Acer Hardware Vendor Detection Utility to find the correct drivers for my computer?
?When replacing a hard drive is there anyway to keep the built-in eRecovery functions?
Also More Answers
Next download Download Hardware Vendor Detection Utility (just under the green bar) and transfer it to the newly installed XP -

Thank You -

#10 Twinmum

Twinmum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:14 AM

Thank You to all that offered help.

Following the instructions and help given I can now connect to the internet using a wireless connection (better than the cable connection I used to use)

Norma

#11 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:17 AM

That link to driver downloads doesn't really have anything that I can see that matches what I need drivers for

Chipset driver is first and available for the Windows XP Home. Atheros, Broadcom and Intel is available for LAN and wireless LAN respectively.

http://support.acer.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?tab=1&modelId=50 As posted by hamluis.

Tekken

#12 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:36 AM

Also you can keep your drivers updated with drivermax. http://www.innovative-sol.com/drivermax/

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:31 AM

FWIW: There is no need to install software of any type...to "update" drivers.

Drivers typically do not require "updating" as long as they work properly and there is no additional capacity that previously did not exist sans the update.

When drivers become damaged, they need to be uninstalled...then replaced with the drivers provided by the manurfacturer of your system (as provided in the link I previously posted).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users