Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Command window keeps flashing error message n screen

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 innkeeper12

innkeeper12

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:48 PM

I need to find out what is causing the DOS command screen to flash on the screen. It gives the error message "The syntax of the command is incorrect". This flashes about every 10 to 15 seconds and is not only annoying, but it slows the computer and mkes it difficult to work since the window is the active window while it is open. I have not been able to tie it to any particular process while watching Task Manager when it happens.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:24 PM

Hi and Welcome to BleepingComputer -
Can you please list your computer Make and Model -

Did you recently install any items iust prior to this event starting ??
There are several answers that relate to installing a printer just prior to this message showing -

Thank You -

#3 innkeeper12

innkeeper12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:54 PM

The computer is a Dell Dimension E510 (model DM051 as reported by system info). I m not sure that I installed any new software when this started. I did recently reinstall the HP printer system but this did not appear immediately after that. I don't think that any other software has been installed since then. This started being real noticable about 5 days ago.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:09 AM

This is one particular link that pertains to the screen message error occurance - http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001336.htm

Tekken

#5 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:10 AM

A few thoughts,

I feel that it is always a good idea to rule out malware as a possible cause. If you haven't done so, update and run a full scan with your current AV software and then supplement it with a free Malwarebytes Anti-Malware scan. The "Quick" scan should be adequate.

Following up on noknojon's lead, there are a few references to printers being installed before this message appears so it would make sense to uninstall the printer as a test. There was one post where the command message was eliminated by updating the printer driver; therefore, make sure that you have the latest XP drivers/software for your printer by going to the printer manufacturer's web site before you re-install.

If the above fails to solve the problem, there were additional suggestions to look for the "cmd.exe" start-up item and if present, delete/disable it. One way to do that is as follows:

Download Windows Sysinternals AutoRuns.zip to your Desktop. This is a portable application; not installed.
  • Extract the file and double click autoruns.exe to start the program.
  • Slowly arrow down looking for the "error reference" (C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe). If you find it, uncheck the entry.
  • By unchecking the entry, it is not deleted. It just won't load with Windows at start-up.
  • The entry may be rechecked if needed, left unchecked, or permanently deleted by highlighting and clicking the red "X" on the top menu.

Edited by Artrooks, 01 April 2012 - 10:11 AM.

Regards,
Brooks

#6 innkeeper12

innkeeper12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:33 AM

Thank you for responding. The screen that I get does not have the command on it, just the error message, so I do not know what the specific command is that has the error. I also have noticed that the process hpqtra08.exe is hogging cpu cycles. It varies up to 50% of the cycles while watching task manager.

#7 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:46 AM

hpqtra08.exe is part of the "Hewlett Packard Digital Imaging Monitor task installed along with the drivers of any of the HP imaging products including, All-In-Ones, PhotoSmart printers and digital cameras." (reference: here).

Regards,
Brooks

#8 innkeeper12

innkeeper12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:48 PM

I have cured the problem, thanks to you all. I found that the program hpqtra08.exe was the culprit (thanks to info provided by Artrooks). It was trying to create a temp file in the folder c:\documents and Settings\%user%\local settings\temp and had used up all 65,236 file names (ver####.tmp). I deleted those files and voila! the problem was gone. Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users