Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to boot Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 richierein

richierein

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:57 PM

A client brought me an old, very old, Dell Latitude D610 with Windows XP. The system will not boot and XP diagnostics is unable to read blocks 0-10 on the internal hard drive. There is no backup and no rescue medium. What are my options?

Edited by richierein, 31 March 2012 - 05:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ken-B

Ken-B

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:49 PM

You want members here to solve your problem for you ............and you are getting paid for it ????

#3 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:09 PM

We are a forum full of wonderful and helpful people who are willing to help virtually everyone whether they need help for a personal issue or a problem with a computer they are working on. We dont discriminate.

Now to the op:

I would suggest taking the hdd out and hooking it to a separate machine and booting up a live linux distro and trying to recover as much data as you can. Here is how if you do not know:

If your computer is not able to boot into Windows or simply not able to access the internet, you can use a LIVE Linux operating system run from a bootable CD or flashdrive instead of Windows, to access the internet, to access files on the HDD(s) and do other tasks.

:step1: Using a working computer:
  • If you wish to use a LIVE CD ...
  • Download the Linux version of your choice (usually an .ISO image file).
  • There are many options to use for a LIVE CD. I suggest that you try one of the following:
  • Puppy Linux (download file size 128 MB)
  • Ubuntu (download file size almost 700 MB)
[*]Burn the .ISO image to CD: If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
  • Download and install ImgBurn.
  • Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
  • Place a new (blank) CD disc in the drive tray.
  • Choose Write image file to disc.
    • Under Source, click on the Browse button: Navigate to and select the .ISO file that you wish to burn.
    • Place a check-mark in the box beside Verify.
  • Click Posted Image
[*]When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.
[/list][*]OR ... if you wish to use a LIVE flashdrive ...
  • Go to UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads and at the top of the page, click on Download (for Windows) to download the application.
  • Follow the instructions further down the page under the heading Installation & Screenshots.
  • Run the application to download and install the Linux version of choice to your flashdrive.
  • I suggest that you try one of the following:
  • Puppy Linux (download file size 128 MB)
  • Ubuntu (download file size almost 700 MB).
[/list][/list]
Credit to AustrAlien for the wonderful canned post :)
animinionsmalltext.gif
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#4 richierein

richierein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:46 AM

To Ken-B: Yes, I get paid for it. I have four computers of my own and occasionally need some help. However, the experts here at Bleeping Computer have far more expertise than I. If you have a personal objection to providing additional assistance, you may opt-out if you wish.

My first inclination was to recommend that this old machine be permanently retired since replacement would cost less than repair and the information stored therein is practically worthless.

To computerxpds: Greatest thanks for your assistance and possible solutions. However, this computer may still go into the trash. I recommend that everyone with whom I work maintain regular backups and a rescue medium but there are a few who refuse to follow directions.

Edited by richierein, 01 April 2012 - 04:00 AM.

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:34 AM

You want members here to solve your problem for you ............and you are getting paid for it ????

Hi -
Yes there is the odd business or repairer that posts on this "open forum" -
If you carefully check there are about 4 or 5 active repairers posting at this time, and they do return.

I hope that if we can help, they will press the "Donate" button if they are happy with the service given from here -

Thanks for Freedom -

#6 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:07 AM

Why don't you help out with some more information:

"The system will not boot and XP diagnostics is unable to read blocks 0-10 on the internal hard drive."

What does will not boot mean?

What XP diagnostics are you running if the system will not boot? I really would like to know how that works.

What happens if you choose to boot in Safe Mode (if you don't know what that means, you can learn how).

What is your XP Version and Service Pack?

Describe your current antivirus and anti malware situation: McAfee, Symantec, Norton, Spybot, AVG, Avira!, MSE, Panda, Trend Micro, CA, Defender, ZoneAlarm, PC Tools, Comodo, etc.

Was the issue preceded by a power interruption, aborted restart, or improper shutdown? (this includes plug pulling, power buttons, removing the battery, etc.)

Does the afflicted system have a working CD/DVD drive (internal or external)?

Do you have a genuine bootable XP installation CD that is the same Service Pack as your installed Service Pack (this is not the same as any Recovery CDs that came with your system)?

What do you see (exactly) that you don't think you should be seeing and when do you see it?

What do you not see that you think you should be seeing?

If the system used to work properly, what do you think might have changed since the last time it did work properly?

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#7 richierein

richierein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:38 AM

This computer is so old, it really belongs in the trash. There is nothing worthwhile retrieving from it and my client doesn't want to spend money to get it working again.

#8 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:51 AM

replace the hdd, 50/60 dollars reload winxp ,30-40 dollars ,it works again .,new computer 399.00 and up ,and yes i fix computer too,
that being said, if its really ,really old then trash it for a new one ,the custome will be happerier with the new one for sure.

and if this dell is the same as theres ,depending on what they are using it for it would be worth the cost of fixing it ,just my opinion

http://laptopcentre.ca/dell-latitude-d610-pentium-186ghz-dvdcdrw-wifi-p-622.html

Edited by caperjac, 01 April 2012 - 06:13 AM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#9 richierein

richierein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:10 PM

Thanks. Good idea. I found a replacement used hard drive on Amazon for $30. I think it's time for a new one anyway.

#10 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:54 AM

+1 on Puppy Linux. Great OS. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users