Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

instead of \ when installing/updating

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Commie

Commie

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:22 PM

At some point in the past couple months, my "\" symbol has changed to a "" symbol when installing or updating programs. I also noticed that it shows up that way in my command window as well, along with the font in my command window being different than the default.

Posted Image

All computer functions work properly but it is annoying to see that symbol all the time when it shouldn't be that.

If anyone knows how to change that back, please let me know.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:02 PM

sign: ¥; code: = JPY - From Wiki

For some reason you have the Japanese Yen symbol showing in that position
I do not know where it would normally show on a Japanese coded keyboard, but I thought it would simply replace the $ sign

Regards -

Edited by noknojon, 31 March 2012 - 06:43 PM.

#3 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:11 PM

I have seen that reported in the forums previously. It is not likely to be due to malware.

It happens when one of the Asian language packs is installed (it could be Japanese? ... but somehow I seem to be thinking Korean? ... but I really cannot remember) and is a "normal" (if un-intended) by-product of doing so. Un-install the language pack to to fix the issue.

Edited by AustrAlien, 31 March 2012 - 05:17 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#4 Commie

Commie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:28 PM

Thanks for the replies. I actually figured out what caused that. My language for non-Unicode programs (Region and Language > Administrative) was set to Japanese for whatever reason. Changing it back to English solved the issue.

#5 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:30 PM

Thanks for letting us know.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users