Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Audio not working after Windows Update?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Cadiann

Cadiann

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:17 PM

I hadn't used my computer yesterday, and when I picked it up this morning and went to use YouTube, I realized my sound wasn't working, even though the speaker icon in the taskbar says it is, and is on high volume. I made sure to test the YouTube volume and make sure that was on high too, and it was. Still no audio. I checked iTunes and other things that would make noise, and they don't work either. Now I know it's not just YouTube; it's my computer.

I checked the Device Manager, and it says everything under the Sound tab is working properly. When I Googled this problem, I saw that other people were having the same exact issue after a Windows Update, and they didn't know what to do. Unfortunately, no one replied to them yet. I decided I'd take the matter into my own hands and post something here, in hopes of finding a solution. I know it was caused by the Windows Update. My computer said it had an update yesterday, the day I hadn't been home to use the computer all day, and now it's messed up. I've tried restarting too, and that didn't fix anything. As far as I know, the audio is the only thing messed up. I haven't found anything else yet. If I do, I'll let you guys know.

I have Windows XP, if that's important to know. I have no clue what to do. Any help at all would be appreciated.
YOU. Yeah, you. Have you played Amnesia: The Dark Descent? Do you know of a moderately priced or a cheap computer that is capable at playing it? Message me! Please and thank you. :D

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:01 PM

Click "Start", then "Run", type: DXDIAG and click OK to get the DirectX troubleshooting menu. Wait until the check for WHQL sigs completes and then click the "Sounds" tab and run the tests. It might be a good idea to download the latest version of DirectX for Windows XP first. It's a web installer, so if you're not using IE, double click the file after you download it to start the installation.

If you don't have the "Run" command on the Start menu, right click the Start button and go to "Properties". Click the "Customize" button and then scroll down the list and checkmark "Run". Then Apply/OK.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users