Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 doesn't have disk formatting?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 printerandink

printerandink

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:43 PM

Is it normal for 7 to not have to format the disk?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:50 PM

Sorry - what are we talking about? I don't understand your question at all.

#3 printerandink

printerandink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:03 PM

When you upload 7 to a new disk, is it not supposed to format the disk? I remember wtih xp it had different ways of formatting the disk.

And by disk I mean hard disk.

Edited by printerandink, 01 April 2012 - 12:07 AM.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:24 AM

Do you attach the hard disk as a secondary drive by a computer with already an operating system or do you mean you want to reinstall a new drive with win 7?

Tekken

#5 Akthalian

Akthalian

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:29 AM

Do you attach the hard disk as a secondary drive by a computer with already an operating system or do you mean you want to reinstall a new drive with win 7?

While the understandable lack of "industry euphemism" makes this one hard to decipher, it sounds as though he tried to do an install of Windows 7 and during the install process he did not format the partition on which he installed it.

IF That is the case, then the reason why the disk did not get formatted is because you didn't tell it to. Windows Vista/7 will only prompt for a reformat if there is not enough available space on the drive to accomodate the installation.

Example:

Windows XP machine with 1 TB Hard drive, only 30% (300 gb) used.

You put in windows 7 disk and boot to it

Select partition for installation

At this point, the setup application only sees that the disk you want to install it on has plenty of extra space, and therefore does not insist that you format it. If you just went through this (reinstall of windows) then I would recommend backing up your data and doing the installation again, this time selecting the "Advanced" tab on the hard disk page of the operating system installation, choose the hard drive you want (your C: drive) and then select "Format". Rememeber, this will erase all data on the disk, so backup any personal documents/files that you have before attempting this.
A+ Certified Support Technician

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:59 AM

When you upload 7 to a new disk, is it not supposed to format the disk? I remember wtih xp it had different ways of formatting the disk.

Please, let's start at the very beginning. Please tell us EXACTLY what you are doing step by step. Right now we're just guessing. Thank you.

#7 printerandink

printerandink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:12 PM

I was talking about installing 7 on a totally new hard disk. I don't recall being asked to choose between NTSC or anything else, but I do recall a black screen with a gray progress bar at the bottom.

So, I'm wondering, does 7 format the disk at all?

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:15 PM

Boot to the Windows DVD. It will walk you through what you need to do step by step. If you want a walk through, go here:

http://www.howtonew.com/how-to-install-windows-7-from-scratch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users