Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird Boot Problem

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:44 AM

Nearly every time when i start my laptop, the logon screen is a blank but you can move the mouse pointer although you can see nothing. This blank screen issue also happens when the logon screen randomly loads up and i am able to type my password but after typing my password in, it shows a blank screen with a mouse pointer. Sometimes i would just wait a few minutes later and everything works smoothly without a issue. Also i have upgraded to a SSD with a fresh installation of windows but it still happens.

Edit 1: I have tried SFC scan but nothing was wrong.

Posted Image

Edited by killerx525, 31 March 2012 - 10:58 AM.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:21 AM

Windows Black, Vista Extreme, etc are pirated Versions of Microsoft's Software..

They are NOT supported by Microsoft.

Download and use them at your own risk.
source

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:31 AM

Windows Black, Vista Extreme, etc are pirated Versions of Microsoft's Software..

source

What on earth are you talking about? This has nothing to do with privacy or this "windows black edition" or themes. My copy of Windows is genuine as i bought a retail copy of it from a store in my area.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:16 AM

if possible try hooking the laptop to a external computer monotor ,see if it works on it

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#5 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:34 AM

Hi

That is a point at which Windows 7 installs plug and play drivers involved with human interface devices. Do you have anything plugged into it or added to it that did not originally come with the laptop?

Also i have upgraded to a SSD with a fresh installation of windows but it still happens.

Was it a platter based drive and you removed it and replaced it with an SSD? Or did you add it and have 2 drives in it now?

What is the manufacturer/model of the laptop?

What version of Windows 7 are you running? Is it the one that came with the laptop or is it one that you purchased separately?

James

#6 alexsmith2709

alexsmith2709

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:53 AM

Are you able to get into safe mode everytime without any issues?
I saw a similar issue on a vista laptop and it turned out to be a virus hiding itself as ctfmon.exe. As you did a fresh install, this may not be the case unless you copied the virus file across the the new SSD.

#7 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:04 AM

if possible try hooking the laptop to a external computer monotor ,see if it works on it

I will try that as soon possible

Hi

That is a point at which Windows 7 installs plug and play drivers involved with human interface devices. Do you have anything plugged into it or added to it that did not originally come with the laptop?

Also i have upgraded to a SSD with a fresh installation of windows but it still happens.

Was it a platter based drive and you removed it and replaced it with an SSD? Or did you add it and have 2 drives in it now?

What is the manufacturer/model of the laptop?

What version of Windows 7 are you running? Is it the one that came with the laptop or is it one that you purchased separately?

James

No, i don't have anything plugged in when these things happen. It was a platter based hard drive which then i replaced it with a SSD. I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro A300 (PSAGDA-01C00R) and the new SSD is a Intel 520 Series 120GB. My version is Ultimate Retail and i purchased it separately. It originally came with Windows Vista Business.

Are you able to get into safe mode everytime without any issues?
I saw a similar issue on a vista laptop and it turned out to be a virus hiding itself as ctfmon.exe. As you did a fresh install, this may not be the case unless you copied the virus file across the the new SSD.

Yes, i can easily get into safemode without any issues. I did a virus scan using a Bitdefender, Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware and the result was clean. So i doubt it is caused by a virus but then again i could be wrong.

>Michael 

#8 alexsmith2709

alexsmith2709

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:28 AM

The virus i saw was picked up by malwarebytes and avira so it doesnt sound like the same thing. Good to rule that out though.
When you have the blank screen can you use Ctrl + Alt + Del?
If so run the task manager and see if explorer.exe is running. Also look to see if there are any suspicious looking programs running.

#9 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:32 AM

The virus i saw was picked up by malwarebytes and avira so it doesnt sound like the same thing. Good to rule that out though.
When you have the blank screen can you use Ctrl + Alt + Del?
If so run the task manager and see if explorer.exe is running. Also look to see if there are any suspicious looking programs running.

Ctrl + Alt + Del only works when it shows up when i pass the logon screen. I don't recall explorer being on the list. There is barely anything on the process list, just the very few system process.

>Michael 

#10 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:51 AM

source

What on earth are you talking about? This has nothing to do with privacy or this "windows black edition" or themes. My copy of Windows is genuine as i bought a retail copy of it from a store in my area.

:hysterical:

My bad. I saw Black Edition in your sig and assumed it was referring to your OS: I see now that it denotes the CPU. My deepest apologies.

That being said....
Are there no entries logged in Event Viewer that may point to the "lagging" start-up?

Edited by bludgard, 31 March 2012 - 10:53 AM.

#11 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:55 AM

source

:hysterical:

My bad. I saw Black Edition in tour sig and assumed it was referring to your OS: I see now that it denotes the GPU. My deepest apologies.

That being said....
Are there no entries logged in Event Viewer that may point to the "lagging" start-up?

Apology accepted :) There is nothing in Event Viewer which points to the lagging at start up.

>Michael 

#12 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:19 AM

Okay, based on your answers the first three things I would try if I were sitting in front of the laptop is...

1. Change any custom BIOS settings that you may have made back to the default.

2. Turn it on and hit f8 to get to the Advanced Boot Options menu and choose

Enable Low Resolution Video

If that works, I'd update the video drivers on the laptop or at least troubleshoot them for possible issues.

3. Add another user to Windows 7 then shutdown and start up and log into the new user profile. If that goes smoother than trying to log into the current profile, I would suspect some weirdness with your current profile. Since it happened before AND on a fresh re-install I would look for anything unorthodox that may have been done when setting up the user both on the old install and new install.

James

#13 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:23 AM

Okay, based on your answers the first three things I would try if I were sitting in front of the laptop is...

1. Change any custom BIOS settings that you may have made back to the default.

2. Turn it on and hit f8 to get to the Advanced Boot Options menu and choose

Enable Low Resolution Video

If that works, I'd update the video drivers on the laptop or at least troubleshoot them for possible issues.

3. Add another user to Windows 7 then shutdown and start up and log into the new user profile. If that goes smoother than trying to log into the current profile, I would suspect some weirdness with your current profile. Since it happened before AND on a fresh re-install I would look for anything unorthodox that may have been done when setting up the user both on the old install and new install.

James

I have not touched any BIOS settings. I will try step 2. Step 3 might not work because most likely it will blank out on the logon screen.

>Michael 

#14 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:29 AM

I must have misunderstood. I thought it blanked out on the logon screen for awhile then appeared. Then after logging in, blanked out for a while and then went on to the desktop.

James

#15 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:31 AM

I must have misunderstood. I thought it blanked out on the logon screen for awhile then appeared. Then after logging in, blanked out for a while and then went on to the desktop.

James

Nop, it would either blank out on the logon screen or after logon. So it's kinda 50/50 chance here. It would never appear, i would have to hold down the power button to turn it off.

>Michael 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users