Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Double Files, double folders, now iByte desktop icon

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Samhoolicant

Samhoolicant

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:07 PM

Hi, I'm new here. I've posted at a few other sites, but both were too technical or couldn't see the forest for the trees. Not bad sites, just not easy for me to understand and execute the steps necessary to keep my computer clean. First of all Hallelujah for the file database and other similar sections here. wish I had found it a long time ago. I intend to use them extensively. BUT, first things first. I have an HP Pavilion p6610f PC desktop computer, with windows 7 Home Premium, AMD Athlon II 635 quad-core processor, 4GB DDR3 sys memory, 750GB HD, Wireless LAN 802.11b/g/n, ATI Radeon HD 4200 integrated graphics, SuperMulti DVD Burner with lightscribe, 15-in-1 card reader, HP MediaSmart Software Suite, and started with Norton internet Security 2011 but subscribed for Norton 360. I also have an iPad2 and the apple assundries that go with it for the pc also. For periphreals I have an HP Officejet 5610v all-in-one, an HP Officejet Pro 8500A Plus Network Printer, a Wacom Pen Tablet, and a set of stereo speakers. We have ATT UVerse, which has everything tied in together. That is the home phone, the tv, the internet and the ps2 and 3, and vcrs. There was a home network set up for me and my husband which has the same computer of his own. I have it set so the only thing that is shared in the network is my music.I have been having trouble with the speed of my computer so I cleaned up the start-up section, cleared out the temp files. trash, unused and unecessary programs, and backed up most of my pictures, music, drawings, set-up programs and the like. It helped a little, but I noticed that a lot of things are in duplicate. I have come here to see where to go for a thorough scan and cleaning, before I start messing with things. I found iByte desktop icon in my task bar in the "don't show" section. That showed up today. Programs and mail and FB etc. have been misfiring, programs or pictures missing, icons changing to the non-descript file icons. That's but he tip of the iceberg. I fired up the system and saw a "flash" (for lack of a better term), of a slide show that is on my iPad and the computer in a file folder but should not have been running. Programs and pictures and files that I have deleted have shown backup on my computer and other things that should be there are not. An important file for a program to work will not load when I go to set it up ( the file is random I think from program to program. I've found ways around that problem most of the time. I have had a habit of browsing my registry to keep familiar with programs, setups etc. so I could hopefuflly spot thing awry. I will have to post more tomorrow. It is late and there is too much to log in. The oddest event that occured I will tell before I sign out is that Norton stopped an potential attack (highrisk) from an intruder with the same name as my computer except with caps that mine doesn't have. I found that online once not too long ago, that it was on the same site as I was. I have to find the ip of that one somehow. More tomorrow.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Samhoolicant

Samhoolicant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:58 PM

I'm back and I found it is iBrte desktop icon. I looked at my Norton Security logs and I don't want to list everything in this comment box. but wwhere would I upload it. I don't want to do this incorrectly. It appears that there was an attack of sorts( according to Norton 360) and it had my local ip address. It looks like there is at least 1 program on my computer or external HD that I never heard of that was responsible. I have Nerds to go pretty close by should I have them scour my machine? I have all the info that Norton shows, incluing the destination ip.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users