Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HIPAA help

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jill8beans2

jill8beans2

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:18 PM

In the hospital I work at, I have been noticing a lot of doctors and nurses texting patient info like release dates, second opinion requests, etc.

According to HIPAA, if the phone is lost or hacked, and the data is released publicly, then the doctors and hospital are open to law suits.

My boss asked me to look for a solution to look for a solution, and so far the only thing I can find for secure texting that is HIPAA complaint is this app called Tigertext which is on a closed network and will delete text messages on all phones after X period of time.

It doesn't seem to cost much and at least would allow doctors to text without a HIPAA problem.

Is this really HIPAA complaint, or am I missing something?

Is anyone else using this?
Looking for the other side of my brain, have you seen it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hipityglop

hipityglop

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:11 PM

I also work in healthcare, and recently had a similar discussion about texting patient data and what happens when HIPAA is involved. Certainly is a doctor loses his phone and it had x-rays and patient info on it, the law says he must tell all his patients that thier data is lost.

They may want to sue him, if that happens, and from what I understand that has happened.

This Tigertext seems to solve the issue from that legal point. I downloaded it on to my phone and tried it, and it seems easy to use, and the messages do delete (I set them for 24 hour delete) so it is a nice security app for your phone.

It seems tigertext is good, and I have not heard of anything else like it. I wonder if they or someone has something similar for emails?

www.tigertext.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users