Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lag, Freeze, and turning off on it's own

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Siriaha

Siriaha

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:12 PM

My laptop is a 2 year old Acer Aspire 5532. Obviously I use Windows 7 since i am posting in this category. I am in desperate need of some assistance. My computer lately has been lagging or momentarily freezing when I open a program or window. The most disturbing problem is that my laptop shuts off whenever it feels like it. I had to do a System Restore just to get it to turn on yesterday. Luckily I have come across this website and am really hoping someone can help me. I have a working knowledge of computers, enough to get me by so far, but this is way out f my league. In case the info is important I use AVG for anti-virus and also Windows Advanced Care (recommended by a friend). My computer is used mainly for gaming so I would love to get this fixed ASAP since shutting down mid boss fight is highly irritating. Anyway thanks in advance for any useful knowledge you may pass my way.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:16 AM

First, if Windows Advanced Care is a registry cleaner, DO NOT USE IT. Registry cleaners CAUSE problems, they do not cure them. Second, let's check a couple of things:

To check the ram, download memtest (http://memtest.org/). Burn it to a cd using a dedicated .iso burning utility (http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm), make sure the cd drive is at the top of the boot order in bios, then boot to the newly created cd and run the utility.
To run checkdisk, right-click on a command prompt icon and open as administrator. In the command prompt window type: chkdsk /r (then press ENTER). You'll be told the disk is in use and asked if you want to run checkdisk on the next boot. Say yes, exit the command prompt window, and reboot.

#3 Siriaha

Siriaha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:12 PM

Ok I downloaded the iso .zip, extracted it, and burned it. Everything after that you have lost me. When I tried to run the disk I was told I could not. Not sure what bios is or how to work this. Lol. I apologize for not understanding but maybe you can explain it to me. Oh and I removed Advanced Windows Care from my PC. Glad I had not really used it.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:28 PM

Just to follow Allan's suggestion, boot the created bootable CD in your optical drive then reboot computer. Tap repeteadly the correct key (usually F2) when the computer is booting early or before the windows screen appears. Look for the boot order section of the HD, CD drive, USB, etc. and change the order and then save and exit. Follow from there the online instructions. Another way is if you have 2 sticks of RAM sticks installed, remove one and check the freezing/shutting down problem. Use the other stick again for another test. There is also a chance it could be a heating problem - Cleaning the internal and ventillation or applying a thermal paste for the CPU is the usual suggestion. More so a shorted mobo in worst case scenario. A lot of possible causes that could contribute to a shutting down and freezing problem but the first thing to check is the shutting down problem.

Tekken

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:02 AM

1) To enter bios on your computer watch the screen as it boots and there should be a message that says "to enter setup (or bios) press ???" - Press whatever that key is - it varies from system manufacturer to system manufacturer.

2) When you get into the bios look for the device boot order. Follow the instructions on the screen to move the cd/dvd to the top of the boot order then save and exit. Do not make any other changes in the bios.

#6 Siriaha

Siriaha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2012 - 01:59 PM

I did it and ran the program. Not sure what info you were looking for. My computer kept shutting off so it is very possible that the program didn't complete running. I am starting to think this may be an over heating issue. Not quite sure how to safely clean everything though. Going to try to run this program again now that my PC is running better this morning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users