Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Media Center/flash Problem

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Kaptain

Kaptain

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 20 February 2006 - 08:11 PM

Hello.
I have a problem viewing channels in "Online Spotlight" in the Windows Media Center. When i click on any channel, it tells me this:

"UPDATE YOUR FLASH PLUG-IN You need to upgrade your Flash Player to experience "Motherload". You can download the latest version for free!".

So i follow the link and download/install a Flash plugin, and it tells me that Flash has been successfully updated. But Media Center still tells me the same thing when i try to play a channel (update needed). All other options in Media Center seem to work well, except playing online media.

I tried to uninstall/reinstall Flash player and update it numerous times, but nothing helps. Flash seem to work fine everywhere except in media center. I lost the MCE cd and can't reinstall that, nor that i'm sure it will fix the problem as all other functions of the media center are working properly.

I also tried to disable Norton antivirus/internet security, still no luck.

please help.
:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2006 - 11:50 PM

See if anything here will help:

http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowledg...19166#nocontent

Also See:
http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowledg...cfm?id=tn_19091

Pay close attention to the KillBit section.

#3 Kaptain

Kaptain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2006 - 12:35 AM

Hey, thanks for trying ..

I deleted that "kill bit" from the registry, and even restarted pc, but that didn't help.
I don't have problems with my Flash player except in the Media Center while attempting to view "Online Spotlight" channels.

Thanks, any more ideas?

#4 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2006 - 09:07 AM

Lets see if this will help:
Try uninstalling then restart and install again.
http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/faqs/flash.html#win-uninstall

Flash Player will not install after updating Windows XP to Service Pack 2
http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowledg...cfm?id=tn_19479

FAQ
http://www.macromedia.com/software/flashpl...roductinfo/faq/

#5 Kaptain

Kaptain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2006 - 06:11 PM

Uninstall, restart, install didn't help.

Macromedia Flash player isn't on "Untrusted Publishers" list.

By eliminating, i think my problem is connected to either part of Media center is damaged/erased or something blocking it or software conflict.

My Flash player seem to be installed properly because it states so in a flash movie.

any other thoughts?

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2006 - 06:39 PM

When you say "Media Center" are you referring to Windows Media Player or your operating syaqtem, Windows XP Media Center Edition?

#7 Kaptain

Kaptain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2006 - 12:37 AM

By "Media Center" i meant software that lets you view media and play tv channels and other kinds of stuff. It comes as a part of Windows Media Center Edition. I did not mean Windows Media Player. Sorry for the confusion.

Sadly, it seems that very few people are experiencing this problem. I've researched for hours and hours online and was only able to find 1 person who got same problem, but no solution so far.

I'm thinking about downloading the Windows media center add-on and trying to uninstall/install it.

Thanks for all your help and sorry about the confusion.
Please post if anyone have any more ideas!
- Kap

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2006 - 02:31 PM

Do you have all updates installed including the one described on the following Microsoft page?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;908250

• Windows XP Media Center Edition Update

This update provides stability and performance enhancements.

• Support for Additional Set-Top Boxes

Download this update and get support for additional set-top boxes in Windows XP Media Center Edition.

• Windows XP Media Center Edition Product Activation Hotfix

This update resolves an issue in Windows Product Activation, which, if triggered, cannot complete and can prevent you from logging on to the system.

• Windows XP Patch: Windows XP Media Center Edition Fast User Switching Hotfix

Take care of the Fast User Switching issue on Windows XP Media Center Edition with this update.

• Remote Sensor Driver and Firmware Update

Get a driver and firmware update for the remote sensor that ships with Windows XP Media Center Edition PCs.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloa...ediacenter.mspx

Edited by Enthusiast, 22 February 2006 - 02:36 PM.

#9 Kaptain

Kaptain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2006 - 11:32 PM

Sorry for the late reply. I do have all updates downloaded including "update rollup 2". I don't have remote or remote sensor. Dell wants $99 for their "Dell on Call" for them to try to fix my problem. :/ Hell no! :thumbsup:.

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2006 - 01:28 AM

Click the link I posted above.

Those updates are specifically for media center.

The flash it is asking you to install may be specific for media center files too - not just macromedia flash.

#11 Kaptain

Kaptain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2006 - 01:27 PM

Again, i appologize for late replies - overwhelmed with hw.

I tried uninstalling/restarting/installing/restarting from link that was given to me by the Media Center, no luck.

I became furious yesterday and start uninstalling all software and trying above procedure again after every uninstall, but nothing helps. I uninstalled Norton IS, encarta, PGP disk, utilities, anti-spyware, but apparetnly it doesn't seem to be the cause.

I give up on fiding the cause and about to reinstall my OS. Thanks for all the efforts and trying to help me.
- Serge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users