Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recent USPS postage email virus

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Kintrest

Kintrest

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:56 PM

Posted this question in the wrong section, I hope this is the correct one.

Hello, a family member received an e-mail claiming to be from USPS, they clicked a link in the e-mail and closed the window as they noticed the suspicious activity that was going on. USPS have put out a warning on their website that there is a new virus going around via e-mail so I should imagine that is what it is. I restarted the pc and I can't notice any effects of whatever it is, I'm not particularly tech savvy so all I know to do is run a scan, malwarebytes found nothing with a quick scan and I'm just performing a full scan with the other anti-virus on the machine but I don't have particularly high hopes. The PC is running Windows XP Pro, I'm afraid it's usage is partially for work and as such there are sensitive details on the computer, primarily I would like to know some further details regarding what the virus does and if possible how one would go about getting rid of it.

EDIT: Apparently the screen that came up was "loading please wait", the browser being used was chrome, I'm not familiar with chrome, is this chrome refusing to allow the page to load? I just tried to get to the link on my PC (running a distribution of linux) with Firefox and the site has been blocked.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users