Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Not Recognizing Multiple External Hardrives

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dlmuxlow

dlmuxlow

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:36 PM

I have a laptop that for some reason this morning stopped allowing me to access files on my external hard drives.

I have four external hardrives. 2 are Seagate drives in a single Rosevill SATA casing. The casing is attached to my computer with a USB 2.0 cable. A third is a Seagate drive in a Rosevill casing also attached by a USB 2.0 cable. The fourth is a Seagate FreeAgent external drive attached by a USB cable. My computer suddenly does not want to recognize all of them working fine as of last night.

When I go to the Device Manager I can see the Seagate FreeAgent and it says it is working properly. I am not able to see the Seagate drives in the Rosevill casings. I am reasonably certain there is nothing wrong with any of the drives, though I don't have another laptop to check them out on.

When I click on "Computer" to try and access the drives it causes the computer "Explorer" to crash and show the circular ball and I have to cancel out of the window. When this happens I lose all access to my desktop icons, but if I unplug the drive they reappear.

My operating system is

Windows Vista 64 Ultimate
Service Pack 2
I have Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T7300 2.00GHz

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:28 PM

From Device Manager...I would delete all controllers listed under USB...and then reboot.

Just the controllers, no hubs/devices.

Louis

#3 dlmuxlow

dlmuxlow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:11 PM

Forum Addict,

I tried what you suggested, and deleted all the controllers under Universal Serial Bus controllers. I have attached a .jpg of the controllers I deleted.

This didn't fix the problem as it still doesn't want to recognize any of my drives. I also got out of my drawer a hand full of thumb drives and none of them work.

I am wondering what other file(s) on my computer may be blocking the computer from correctly recognizing these drives. It is not a USB thing, as I have a printer and a scanner that are attached via USB and they work just fine. Only the hard drives don't want to work When I click on my computer icon, my computer immediately crashes. Attached is another jpeg showing with the Device Manager screen showing the drive working fine, but with my computer "not responding" after having clicked on my computer icon.

On an aside, it wouldn't be a virus. I have Norton 360 and have scanned my computer mutliple times without any result.

Attached Files

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:04 AM

I would disconnect all USB drives.

I would then add one drive back, boot the system...go to My Computer and see if the problem is with that particular drive.

If not, I would then add another drive and make the same check of system/drive functionality.

And so on...

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users