Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Custom Computer Discussion

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 nsb823

nsb823

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 20 February 2006 - 07:17 PM

Hello, I am interested in making a custom computer mainly for gaming... I know howto put a computer together and everything but the problem is i needa get a right direction on what parts i should get like what a good motherboard would be and good videocards/ram/soundcards/etc that it would be compatable with... currently i have a dell dimension 2400 and my friend thinks id be better off making a custom computer then upgrading mine

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 20 February 2006 - 08:33 PM

It will depend on your budget. What are the specs on your Dell?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 nsb823

nsb823
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2006 - 10:08 PM

how can i find out about my specs like were do i go?

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2006 - 02:00 AM

Could you like your RAM (how much) Processor (in mhz or ghz), hard drive (size and free/used space), Operating System and what service packs are installed, video adapter (a card or onboard)...

Go to Start>Run>msinfo32

The first page will have most of the information. The companents section will have the rest.

#5 nsb823

nsb823
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2006 - 03:44 PM

I have 256mb of ram, Intel Pentium 4 Processor 2.53Ghz, i got a 80 gig harddrive with 57.4gigs of free space(note the wierd thing is when i goto mycomputer and highlight the drive it says its a 74.4gig drive), I have Windows XP home w/ service pack 2, my videocard and soundcard are both built into the motherboard(bleepty)

-Nick

P.S. if there is anything else you would like to know tell me

my original plans were to buy a new case w/ a 450watt power supply, and buy 2 512mb sticks of ram my computer supports 2700 2900 and 3200 pci ram, then i was gonna buy a 160gig drive and use it as my primary and use my 80gig as a slave...

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2006 - 05:29 PM

Except for the motherboad and video card you have a good idea. Inside your case what tyoe of slots do you have open? AGP, PCI, PCI-express? If you have an PCI-express x16 slot open you can buff that computer up quite a bit. If you have an AGP slot you can still buy a very good video card. That is unless you have your heart set on spending money on a case/MB/RAM/HD/Video.

#7 nsb823

nsb823
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2006 - 05:36 PM

how do i find out what slots in the back there are that are open? like how do i know if thier PCI-Express or AGP or PCI? I do have my heart set on more RAM deffinately need it...

EDIT: i was reading another topic and found this http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...m_en/techov.htm to my knowledge of reading that and viewing the page it seems that its got 3 PCI slots...

Edited by nsb823, 21 February 2006 - 05:47 PM.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2006 - 06:25 PM

You are right and your best bet is either a new MB/case/PS/Video....

A stop gap measure you can get a PCI card that will improve you proformance, but not as good as PCI-E or AGP.

http://www.allstarshop.com/shop/simprod.as...=8813&ad=pwatch

#9 welco

welco

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2006 - 06:31 PM

I have 256mb of ram, Intel Pentium 4 Processor 2.53Ghz, i got a 80 gig harddrive with 57.4gigs of free space(note the wierd thing is when i goto mycomputer and highlight the drive it says its a 74.4gig drive), I have Windows XP home w/ service pack 2, my videocard and soundcard are both built into the motherboard(bleepty)

-Nick

P.S. if there is anything else you would like to know tell me

my original plans were to buy a new case w/ a 450watt power supply, and buy 2 512mb sticks of ram my computer supports 2700 2900 and 3200 pci ram, then i was gonna buy a 160gig drive and use it as my primary and use my 80gig as a slave...

Don't worry that's the formatted space. Your hard drive can never give you as much storage as it advertises. It's just the way things go. If you have only PCI slots on your motherboard you're going to need to at least buy a new motherboard, memory, video card, and PSU if you want to game with that computer. I recommend you go for a whole new rig and just keep the Dell for casual stuff or sell it for money towards your gaming machine.

If you tell me your budget I can help you more with what to go with.
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
1GB GeIL Value Memory Looking for something better...
EPoX EP-9NPAJ
Hitachi 7K80
Jaton 6600GT
400W HiPRO

#10 nsb823

nsb823
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2006 - 06:34 PM

If I was to make a custom computer what should i get for a motherboard? I was thinking of getting this case that comes with a 450w ps http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...1175091&CatId=0,
but i need to know whats a good motherboard its compatable w/ and what is a good Video/Sound/RAM/HD/etc.. to go with it...

EDIT: I think i would want a AMD MotherBoard but wat should i get Micro ATX, Socket 754, Socket 939/940, or Socket A

Edited by nsb823, 21 February 2006 - 06:57 PM.

#11 nsb823

nsb823
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2006 - 06:40 PM

Don't worry that's the formatted space. Your hard drive can never give you as much storage as it advertises. It's just the way things go. If you have only PCI slots on your motherboard you're going to need to at least buy a new motherboard, memory, video card, and PSU if you want to game with that computer. I recommend you go for a whole new rig and just keep the Dell for casual stuff or sell it for money towards your gaming machine.

If you tell me your budget I can help you more with what to go with.

I don't have a set budget I am mainly gonna figure out how much ill need and work from thier on getting the money...

EDIT: Sorry i didnt mean to double post but i donno how i can fix that now

Edited by nsb823, 21 February 2006 - 06:58 PM.

#12 nsb823

nsb823
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2006 - 12:17 PM

Anyone?

#13 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2006 - 03:15 PM

The motherboard will be dependent on the processor you want and your budget.

The fastest processor and motherboard combination with the features you want and what you can afford will be what will determine what you can buy.

If the budget is unlimited you can build a state of the art system.

Tigerdirect has one here that's a good start if you want an Athlon:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...BM-A8NSLI-FX55R

Edited by Enthusiast, 22 February 2006 - 03:35 PM.

#14 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2006 - 03:43 PM

Make sure you have GREAT cooling - even possibly a liquid cooler for the cpu, a really well designed case, a large power supply and some really good fans.

#15 welco

welco

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2006 - 10:30 PM

Sorry for not responding very quickly. I'm pretty busy with school and whatever. As for best gaming performance go with AMD socket 939. Right now it is currently the best socket for gaming by far. The integrated memory controller is really helping dominate. If this is for gaming you'll still want to be using the single-core Athlons so, I recommend any of the Venice or San Diego core processors. The Venice core processors are the 3000+, 3200+, 3500+, and the 3800+. Out of these I would buy the 3500+ as it is $200 and for the $30 difference from the 3200+ I think it's totally worth it. The San Diego core processors are the 3700+, 4000+, and the single core FX series. If you want the best in gaming performance buy the FX-57, but be warned it does cost over $1000. Personally I still recommend the 3500+ the 1MB L2 cache of the San Diego processors does give a performance jump, but not enough for me to justify buying or recommending others to buy.

Alright, so now on to the motherboard. These are a huge part of your system and your choice will be based largely on your needs. DFI is the way to go if you need to tweak everything (me) ASUS if you demand stability, trust me all these boards I recommend are stable it's just ASUS is especially stable, but not very good overclockers... Basically I can almost recommend any ATX socket 939 board featuring the nForce 4 or nForce 4 ultra chipset. Also, I need to give some props to the motherboard I'm running right now, the EPoX EP-9NPAJ. I'm young and I don't have much money, but I needed a rig that could game and overclock, and I got to hand it to this board it is one awesome overclocker and has never given me any trouble. It has a few flaws, but that has to deal with the layout and nothing more than that.

Lastly, the case. If you do buy that get a different PSU. That company is not known at all for quality power supplies. Cases are largely personal opinion so I'll let you decide that for yourself, just make sure it's ATX. The only company I recommend for using the bundled power supply is Antec. Even then the bundled power supplies are not the best of quality. You can buy a nice FSP for only $40 that will easily power the system and is worth every penny. Alright, I hope I helped.

Here's a quick little rig I recommend, but what you need may be different so, do your research!

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3500+ $200
Mobo: ASUS A8N5X $90
RAM: OCZ Bronze 1GB (2x512MB) $100
GPU: eVGA 6800GS $154 after rebates
Sound Card: Creative Audigy 2ZS $70
Hard Drive: Seagate 7200.8 120GB $75
Total: $720
Add another hundred or so for optical drives, case, and power supply then you're set. Also, prices may be lower by the time you order so you might be able to fetch this whole system including case, power supply, and optical drives for under $800. Just hunt around and find the best deals you can and do your research!

Edited by welco, 22 February 2006 - 10:44 PM.

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
1GB GeIL Value Memory Looking for something better...
EPoX EP-9NPAJ
Hitachi 7K80
Jaton 6600GT
400W HiPRO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users