Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ultimate Virus Killer??

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Greasedupdeafguy

Greasedupdeafguy

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:15 AM

Has anyone ever heard of/used this? Colleague of mine sent us a link to it (wont post it here unless requested) stating it was another good utility for cleaning out an infected machine. I'm skeptical to throw this on an old PC and see what it actually does, but figured I'd turn here first to see if theres any experience with it.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:24 AM

Never heard of it. But it's not free. CNET has just one review(probably planted) and it's been listed since January. Personally I wouldn't touch it. There are too many other proven free alternatives.

CNET link: http://download.cnet.com/Ultimate-Virus-Killer/3000-2239_4-75630351.html

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Greasedupdeafguy

Greasedupdeafguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:37 AM

Yeah I agree with you... Was more so looking for details so I can let my other coworkers know not to bother with it.

Thanks for the input.

#4 balon

balon

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:38 AM

Ultra Virus Killer?

or

Ultimate Virus Killer?

I've used the first one, my friend told me hes had issues with the second

#5 Greasedupdeafguy

Greasedupdeafguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:59 AM

I never heard of the Ultra, my colleague was suggesting Ultimate.

http://www.carifred.com/uvk/

#6 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:47 PM

I never heard of the Ultra, my colleague was suggesting Ultimate.

http://www.carifred.com/uvk/

I'm confused, your link leads to "UVK - Ultra Virus Killer", as Balon questioned.

Edit:
From: http://www.zdnet.com.au/downloads/ultimate-virus-killer-11546340/

How does a doctor cure cancer? If Norton or Mcafee were the doctors, they would attempt to cure the cancer piece by piece, all the while cancer cells are flying everywhere ready to infect other parts of the body. A real cure would be cutting the entire area surrounding the cancer, and burning it where it stands.

This is how Ultimate Virus Killer works!

Emphasis mine.

This would quite probably kill the malware but it seems to me this method could very easily render the computer to door-stop status too, leaving no options but to reformat and reinstall.

Edited by FlannelBack, 30 March 2012 - 07:25 PM.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:44 PM

Ultimate Virus Killer appears to be a suite. I'm not an advocate of suites. All-in-one tools and suites generally use more system resources than separate programs that do the same task. They tend to have varying degrees of strengths and weaknesses for each feature. In contrast, separate tools are designed, built and maintained with a greater focus in a specific area so they are generally of better quality and more effective at what they are designed to do. This means the program's performance for that particular feature is usually superior than their all-in-one counterpart. Further, all-in-one tools generally do not allow the user as much flexibility in tailoring default settings and usage.

UVK - Ultra Virus Killer appears to be more of a Repair Tool but includes automatic anti-malware scans:

MalwareBytes AntiMalware, SuperAntiSpyware, Hitman Pro, Kaspersky TDSS Killer and ComboFix.
Automatically delete the threats found in the scans.
Run a configurable automated UVK system repair script after the scans.
Run ComboFix in unattended mode.
Perform all these actions automatically with no user interaction, which can save several hours of work.

ComboFix should only be used under expert supervision. Please read the pinned topic ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:04 PM

Just to add, though a few weeks old now.
There are more and more various anti virus types of software, some paid for some free.
Mostly though not very good unless of the more well known Avast, Avira, Avg and the fairly recent Microsoft Security Essentials, being among those free that are usually recommended, though some folk are against AVG, and also Avast for different reasons recently.

The "Ultimate Virus Killer, I know nothing about as yet as this is the first I have heard of it, however UVK or Ultra Virus Killer, I do know of and recently looked at, though not yet run any part of it on my experimental and test computer.
To me it looks more worrying than most so called registry cleaners, due to its links to a few tools that shouldn't be used unsupervised as mentioned by Quietman above.
I would be advising to stay well away from this product even though it is free.
The "Run Combofix in unattended mode" is just plain frightening.

Nev.
Why all the fuss, I already have Windows 8. Three windows at the front, and five at the back since I bought the house.
Posted Image

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:43 PM

This could also be like IObit Advanced System Care that includes many un-needed extras that are not wanted.

As per quietman7, any "Suite" usually includes unwanted extras, and they often include Registry Optimizers/Cleaners that usually cause problems.

"Run ComboFix in unattended mode." I must agree that this is scarey, as it may include outdated versions of the programs -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users