Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Winfixer And Friends

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 allspiedout

allspiedout

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 20 February 2006 - 06:11 PM

Have a problem with winfixer and virtumonde. (Windows XP 2002 SP2) I was proceeding down your prerequisite checklist and have failed to get ZoneAlarms Internet Security Suite to install due to the message "Validation failed for C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\VSDATA.DLL." Have had the Windows firewall (obviously not sufficient)...

I had noted infected dlls in the SYSTEM32 area previously, and have run VirusScan, AdAware, Counterspy, Spybot S&D and Stinger with little success. I am concerned that running all the spyware programs have somehow now interfered with the ZoneAlarm installation? (Counterspy 'active protection' has not been rejecting installation attempts.)

I would love some help... thanks!

Rob

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Michael Giacchetti

Michael Giacchetti

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 20 February 2006 - 07:09 PM

Check your system clock. Your CMOS battery may be dead.

#3 allspiedout

allspiedout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2006 - 10:41 PM

System clock seems to be on track. Computer (Sony Vaio laptop) new as of last year...

#4 Michael Giacchetti

Michael Giacchetti

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 22 February 2006 - 12:52 AM

• Navigate to C:\Windows\System32
  • Locate vsdata.dll
  • Right Click - choose Properties.
  • Click Digital Signatures tab.
  • Click on the name in the Signature List box, then click on Details button.
  • Click the View Certificate button.
  • Look for Valid from xx/xx/xxxx to xx/xx/xxxx.
Chances are the certificate is no longer valid.

!!!!----- Proceed at Own Risk -----!!!!

Open Your browser and navigate to the following URL.
Once at the web page follow the directions to reset your root certificates.
https://getca.verisign.com/

Edited by Michael Giacchetti, 22 February 2006 - 12:53 AM.

#5 allspiedout

allspiedout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2006 - 09:56 PM

When I follow your instructions, I can right click on the vsdata.dll file and select properties which brings up 5 tabs...

General / Version / Digital Signatures / Security / Summary.

When I click on the Digital signatures tab, the entire tab disappears. The window reverts to the four other tabs... with the General tab selected and nothing showing in the window.

#6 Wolfnadrid

Wolfnadrid

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 27 April 2006 - 01:37 AM

Give http://www.xblock.com/onlinescan.php a shot before regoing through the loop should help (and in winfixers case, gets rid of 80% of the infections I see). The security programs if ALL running w/ their realtime and systray protection on will conflict w/ installing Zone alarm (they block registry, startup changes and possibly scheduledtask access), though that error seems like the version of VSDATA on the computer either somehow out of date (if you HAD zone alarm installed at one time) or something is blocking write access to the file and its throwing that error back in confusion. I'd suggest following the full uninstall instructions form zone labs http://nh2.nohold.net/noHoldCust25/Prod_1/...UninstalNT.html
then retry the process.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't work here, I just pretend"

I spend all 8 hour of my work day fixing other stupid humans computer problems... do you really think I wanna fix your computer?... ohh free stuff for it, well why didn't you say so!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users